Kustom

Luberto Classic Cub

In the May/June issue of The Saddler's Journal there's and ad by Luberto saying they we going to introduce two new leather stitchers at the Sheridan show, "the Classic Cub and Classic Club II". But there's no info about them on their website. Did anyone happen to see them, and if you did what did you think?

Thanks, Steve

Hello:

I saw them. They were basically a stripped down version of a regular jump foot needle feed machine. They have a rotary crank on the side of them. The handle motion is rotary and not up and down like the Tippmann Boss.

The machine did seem to stitch nice, but there was a hell of a swing on the rotary handle to get it to make enough power to sew.

I am not sure how good of a machine it is for the money. It seems to be awful plain. But one thing I will say is that it did stitch well at the show.

Kindest Regards,

Ryan O. Neel

Cowboy Sewing Machines

Neel's Saddlery and Harness

Hello:

I saw them. They were basically a stripped down version of a regular jump foot needle feed machine. They have a rotary crank on the side of them. The handle motion is rotary and not up and down like the Tippmann Boss.

The machine did seem to stitch nice, but there was a hell of a swing on the rotary handle to get it to make enough power to sew.

I am not sure how good of a machine it is for the money. It seems to be awful plain. But one thing I will say is that it did stitch well at the show.

Kindest Regards,

Ryan O. Neel

Cowboy Sewing Machines

Ryan,

You mean a small version of the #9? How thick of leather were they stitching?

S.

I spoke with Leila at Luberto's yesterday about their models . The cub series will sew up to 3/4", and down to chap weight. They're working on updating their website to show the cub/cub2 series. Hopefully, there will soon be an ad banner with their logo on it.

Here's' what she sent via email:

"More detailed information on the Cub:

The Cub 6" arm (more accurate throat clearance than our advertised 5 1/2") weighs just 32 lbs, which makes it incredibly portable. The 9" arm weighs less than 40 lbs. We are coming out with a "Base" attachment very shortly which will preclude having to bolt the machine to any kind of stand, as well as a Flatbed attachment and additional feet. We are also working on an add-on Flywheel & motorization attachment for people who might wish that.

This machine is patented, utilizing a totally new concept in sewing machine engineering and is not based on any other machine made. It is extremely simple with only three simple adjustments to the whole usage & maintenance of the machine. "Simply" - the best!

As I said, the Cub utilizes a square feed, needle feed, jumpfoot action bringin the needle STRAIGHT down into the material, moving the leather through the machine as the jumpfoot rises, then setting the jumpfoot down to hold the leather for the next stitch. Feed dogs or "holding" effects beneath the leather are not needed. There is minimal needle deflection in this motion as the needle enters cleanly, not on the angle of the pendulum action machines such as the Juki, Adler, Consew, Seiko, Artisan, Cowboy, etc. And stitch length is not affected by thickness of material, but remains constant, unlike those machines.

The Cub is a full rotary operated hand crank machine, each revolution creating a stitch. Therefore smoothly going into the next stitch for a continuous process, even and consistent.

And, as you know it is proudly MADE IN THE USA, in Troy, Montana, just as the CLASSIC CUSTOM is.

Hope this information is helpful to you in making your own decision, and you may feel free to pass it on. Our website should be updated & reworked within the next few weeks to include this new information and to make it more accessible.

Leila Perlot-Luberto

Luberto Manufacturing Inc. (formerly Luberto's Sewing Machines LLC)

215 E. Kootenai

PO Box 3011

Troy, MT 59935

Ph: 800-419-9898

406-295-5785

"

Edited by TwinOaks

They list these prices for the 5 inch arm model as $1,195.00, which sounds very appealing.

The feeding mechanism on it was the same as on the Classic/Number 9. It is a jump foot needle feed. Similar feeding mechanism as to what is on the Boss.

I saw them sew samples from 1/8" up to about 5/8" thick at the show.

Hope this is if some help to you.

Kindest Regards,

Ryan O. Neel

Cowboy Sewing Machines

I too liked the price, as it's in the same range as the Boss, but apparently without the issues that have arisen from Tippman's decision to use Aluminum castings and Zinc parts.

From what Mrs. Leila told me on the phone, the demo model they had set up went through 3 days of Joe Customer walking up and running it with no problems.

As much as I like the idea of a Toro/Cobra, this one gets my attention more because it puts me "in production" at considerably less cost, and without implying anything political, and no offense to our multinational members....I like the idea of Made In USA.

I'm thinking that this company is kinda like Kimber used to be- making a great product at an incredible price. Now let's just hope they don't go the way Kimber did and start using MIM parts to keep up with demand.

(note: For those unfamiliar with Kimber, they're a firearm mfg.)

Edited by TwinOaks

I hope they have some video of it in action. I've heard #9 had a very cool looking stitch and different from a regular sewing machine. I've never seen it but would like to.

BTW, what does "square feed" mean?

Edited by Kustom

I hope they have some video of it in action. I've heard #9 had a very cool looking stitch and different from a regular sewing machine. I've never seen it but would like to.

BTW, what does "square feed" mean?

Square feed refers to the feed frame system. It should have 4 corner contact to insure the feed is straight and true. The Campbell is designed with a square feed, which can pull straighter stitches on inclines and heavy materials. Needle feed is good, but in the needle and awl world, awl feed is better. The awl is stronger and less likely to flex or brake.

Square_Feed.jpg

post-6741-1245522198_thumb.jpg

From her description, square feed means that the needle goes straight down into the leather, then pulls it, as opposed to going down into the leather while it's moving. The advantage here is that there's no variation of stitch length when the material thickness changes- example: sewing a wallet where you go thin to thick to thin as you cross folds, seams, and pockets.

Don't quote me on that, but that's how it was explained. The folks here with more experience might be able to explain it better.

Edited by TwinOaks

Square feed refers to the feed frame system. It should have 4 corner contact to insure the feed is straight and true. The Campbell is designed with a square feed, which can pull straighter stitches on inclines and heavy materials. Needle feed is good, but in the needle and awl world, awl feed is better. The awl is stronger and less likely to flex or brake.

Thanks for the info CampbellRandall.

What would some examples of awl machines be?

Thanks for the info CampbellRandall.

What would some examples of awl machines be?

I might be able to help you with this one. Some needle and awl stitching machines that have been made over the years are as follows:

1. Campbell Harness Stitcher

2. Randall Harness Stitcher

3. Landis #3

4. Landis #16

5. Randall Union Lockstitch

6. I also think the Cyclone was a needle and awl machine.

7. Champion narrow and wide throat machines

That is all I can think of right now.

Edited by neelsaddlery

I might be able to help you with this one. Some needle and awl stitching machines that have been made over the years are as follows:

1. Campbell Harness Stitcher

2. Randall Harness Stitcher

3. Landis #3

4. Landis #16

5. Randall Union Lockstitch

6. I also think the Cyclone was a needle and awl machine.

7. Champion narrow and wide throat machines

That is all I can think of right now.

Thanks Ryan. Those are all big, heavy, expensive machines, correct?

Thanks Ryan. Those are all big, heavy, expensive machines, correct?

Yes, they are all very big machines. Some of the machines are not too bad in price. The Champion machines sell used here for as little as $500.00. But the problem is, you cannot get any parts for them anymore. If you need parts, you have to have somebody make them for you. That is part of the reason why the Champion machines sell for so cheap. They are obsolete by virtue that parts are extremely rare.

The other machines such as the Randall and Campbell machines will sell for more money, but you can still find parts for most of the other ones, except for the Cyclone. But I do hear Campbell is making some parts for them now.

I'll add to Ryan's list of Needle and Awl machines. The Needle and Awl is a unique American design for heavy leather goods. They are tough machines and will produce a tighter and cleaner stitches than modern closed eye needle machines. They are still very popular among custom leather workers and widely used for factory production of holsters, saddles, belts, harness, cases, etc.

References:

NEEDLE & AWL MACHINES

The BOSWORTH & the CYCLONE

• 1. Campbell Harness Stitcher
    • Awl Feed
    • Current machines use a re-machined castings and are rebuilt from existing cores.
    • All internal parts are available as new except the main frame.

[*]2. Randall Harness Stitcher (copy of the Campbell)

• Awl Feed
    • Available as rebuilt or used.
    • All parts are available for the except the main frame.

[*]3. Landis #3 (designed from the Campbell - patent states "Campbell type")

• Awl Feed
    • Some parts are available. The #3 uses some parts that interchange with the Campbell. Other parts we build, or are modified Campbell parts.

[*]4. Landis #16

• Needle Feed
    • Some parts are available.

[*]5. Union Lockstitch

• Needle Feed
    • Available as new, rebuilt or used.
    • All parts are available.

[*]6. Cyclone

• Awl Feed
    • Campbell Bosworth stocks most parts. Some parts made on demand.

[*]7. Champion narrow and wide throat machines (AKA - Peerless 30)

• Needle Feed
    • Available as used.
    • Few parts are available. Some parts made on demand.

[*]8. American Straight Needle

• Needle Feed
    • Available as used
    • Narrow throat - only some parts available

[*]9. The Bosworth

• Developed around the turn of the century, it features a closed eye needle with an awl feed. The design must have been lacking, as records show most machines were returned for Campbells or similar models. Obsolote and nearly impossible to find.

Has anyone bought the cub yet? used it in a production/semi production setting? Just wondering how the reviews of this machine are now that its had some time out there...

-ANdrew

Just in case anyone is looking for Luberto, Ferdinand, etc, they are now back in CT at:

Luberto's Sewing Machines

29 Main St

Plainfield, CT 06374

(860) 564-8252