Sign in to follow this  
Josiah

Umm, Not Sure How, But Antique Paste Almost Wrecked My Project

I stained this wallet using light brown oil dye from Fiebings, waited a day and wiped on a coat of Fiebings dark brown antique paste and was left with this nasty smudge. I have never had this happen before and am wondering if anyone has seen this type of thing and knows how to keep it from happening again. I did have a some liquid sitting on top of the paste that I tried to mix in, but may not have mixed in very well. Just not sure if that could cause it or what. I saved the project by deglazing, and then spraying a dark chocolate dye fade.

post-26365-0-84612700-1351781340_thumb.j

post-26365-0-91341300-1351781871_thumb.j

post-26365-0-58417600-1351781920_thumb.j

post-26365-0-19718100-1351781972_thumb.j

I have had that happen when the clear-lac didnt dry enough before antiquing. May or not be the cause.

I have had that happen when the clear-lac didnt dry enough before antiquing. May or not be the cause.

X2 on waiting, I let the clear lac dry overnight usually, but at least 6-8 hours.

Chief

There is no clear-lac. I antique without putting any sealer on top of the oil dye. I have done both with and without sealer, and like without better. It is colder in my workshop (50's) could it be that the oil dye didn't dry enough?

That would be another reason......wet dye will smear. I also remember several suggestions to let it dry then buff till no dye comes off before proceding with the next step. That way the dye won't smear