Mockingbird

Japan Suppliers

Hello all,

First time poster :cowboy:

I'm a brit living in Kyoto Japan and want to have a go at leathercraft after seeing a satchel made at a local crafts fair.

As far as I've gathered there are 3 main suppliers in Japan: Seiwa, Craftsha and Kyoshin-Elle.

I went to Tokyu-Hands to pick up my first tools, they seem to stock only Seiwa products.

Can anyone recommend anywhere I can get some tanned leather? Tokyu-Hands Kyoto only seems to stock 30cmx30cm tanned leather.

I'd like to get started on beginner projects like coin case, keyholder and wallets.

Thanks!

i'm surprised there were no bites on this. i'd say that if you can't get it in country, then try ebay.it might be a bit of a crap shoot as to what you'll get - and you have to know what you're looking for - but it might be worth the effort.

There are definitely some leather to be had in Japan.. I don't think you mentioned if you speak japanese or not (I'm thinking not though, for some reason), the problem is going to be a website that links to an English translation page.. like some of the European sites have. I remember a couple of years back coming across a japanese website for a famous tannery there that was known for it's horsehide. I apparently didn't save the link, wish I had. I'm still looking for garment horsehide, so if you come across it in your search please let me know. I can not "recommend" the leathers at the following link (because I have not bought from them), but it does appear to be a tannery website.. that I found using google language translator. So I'd say try more of that. Also, why don't you ask the folks at the 3 suppliers that you've found, if they can recommend a tannery?

http://himeji.jibasan.jp/leather/category/index.html

Doug C

? oh, wait a minute.. I just realized Mockingbird, that the links that you posted seem to have a few places that offer leather... so did you find what you were after?

Doug C

CustomDoug: Yeah, just left a message for anyone in the future that's also looking up Japanese suppliers.

The tannery you could be after is Shinki-Hikaku. Here's a few links you might enjoy:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/66697/japanese-cordovan

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?67440-Horween-or-Shinki-Whose-horse-is-your-pick

Yes that's it, recognized the name immediately. Thank you!

Glad you found what you were looking for too.

Doug C

Edited by CustomDoug

I'm a regular at goodsjapan.com

Hi. You may have already found what you are looking for, but Himeji is probably where you want to look. They have a large tannery there, so lot's of tools too, and there is a school that teaches leather working there. My wife can't remember any of the names of the places, so I can't help much more than that, sorry.

goodjapan.com was already mentioned, but if you are already in Japan then don't go there. There is a pretty big markup on there items compared to just buying it from the supplier.