Jess Jones

To Belt Makers: What Is The Proper Formula To Measure For A Belt?

Fellow belt makers,

Thank you for your time. What is the proper formula to measure for a belt? Is it to measure from the end of the buckle to the hole they use most? I have a formula that I have been using based on their waist size. A lot of my customers don't measure a belt they've been using and just give me a waist size. I thought I had the formula down and now lately I've been getting customers saying that the belt they received is too long! Sooo Frustrating!!

Please help with a formula in which I can determine the length of the belt based on their waist size. Thank you!

Edited by Jess Jones

You should measure from the middle hole to the leather loop. You should not include the buckle.

You will find that there are many opiions. Here is mine. Using the waist size is not accurate even if you come up with a formula. When people give you their waist size they usually just give you there pant size. A 38" wait is not exactly 38" and I have found a variance between two pairs of the exact same brand bought at the same time. Also I know for a fact that I have some pants that were one size when I bought them but through stretching they are a bit bigger then their marked size. Having said that Jim Simmons (Brazos Jack) has developed a chart using pant waist size. It is supposed to be being pinned to one of these forums. You might contact him he is usually willing to share his information. I tell my customers they are responsible for providing accurate measurements and that hte accuracy of the belt size will only be as accurate as their measurement. I tell them not to use their pant size and to measure a belt they normally use. I tell them to measure from the end of the buckle to the hole they commonly use. That will end up being the location of the middle hole on the new belt. I also send them a picture as demonstration.You do need to take into consideration the type of buckle they are using no matter what formula they are using. There will be a difference in the measurement using a rodeo buckle as opposed to that of a roller buckle etc.

post-15001-0-09505500-1403370279_thumb.p

Thank you gentleman for your knowledge! I really appreciate it!

Thank you gentleman for your knowledge! I really appreciate it!

May I also humbly suggest Ian Atkinson's tutorial...very simple way of measuring a belt for anyone, any size...he's a very skilled leather craftsman and very generous with knowledge as you will see if you check out his other videos on his youtube channel :) Hope this helps!!

Skip to about 6:30 mark for info on hole spacing and sizing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpEmkRlv1Uo

Edited by thekid77

The way camano ridge uses is exactly the way I do it.
Even if you say they should measure their waist with a measuring tape you can´t be sure they measured at the right point. So using an old/actual belt is quite good. And it is really important to send such a picture with the explanation! I tried to describe it on the phone a few times, let them explain it to me again to be sure they understood, what I talked about.... but it seems as it isn´t clear at all to some people who than will contact you, because the belt doesn´t fit like it should. You may add a hole or two, but there might be customers who don´t like that option... or maybe who live hundreds of miles/kilometers away where you can´t just stop by. And if it should be i.e. a present for the husband/wife/what ever: ask them to verify their measurement with another belt. Had a situation where somebody had quite thin and quite thick pants and where the measurement just differs so that might be the point to decide what the belt should be used for ;)

Ditto on the way Camano Ridge does it, that has been the tried and true method for as long as I can remember. Most people don't know their waist size and will lie about it anyway if they've gained a few pounds/inches. Some times customers don't have an old belt with them (particularly ladies) while I'm at a show. I made a belt with holes punched from 60" down to about 16", and keep it hanging in the shop or under the canopy when at a craft show. They can put this belt on get it comfortable, and then the hole that the tang is in is the measurement I need to make them a belt. I've had to use it more often than you would think and it works good, but my preferred method is an old belt.

Chief

Great tips, thank you so much. That will certainly help me.

Chief has it about as "down" as you can get it. We have a picture we attach for how to get your size right. We have been known to mail you a strip with holes, you just tell us which hole suits you.

Still, people lie.

They have a tape measure, and they got your 'measuring strip', but they send you the size off their jeans anyway. Oddly, I find the guys are worse about this than the girls.

Or they like the way THESE jeans fit, so that MUST be the right size. I can tell you, I have "34" jeans that I can't get on any more, AND I have "34" jeans that would fall off if not for a belt. Size on the clothing means nothing.

And yes, it needs to include the BUCKLE. The ONLY time we want a measurement that doesn't include the buckle length is if we are replacing a belt you already have and you are re-using that SAME buckle.

Here's a picture we send, which you can use or not as you see fit. Often, people call or write with MORE questions, which is fine. When they ask a question about a 'heel bar" buckle,at least we all know what we mean - all talkin' the same language. Long as the question isn't 'we gave you the wrong size .. can we have another belt for free?" :)

Camano Ridge has the way I do it, . . . and if they don't goof up the measurement, . . . it ALWAYS works.

I knew a guy once who wore "36" trousers. When we measured HIM for the belt, . . . turned out to be a 41. He had worn those jeans enough to stretch them all the way out to where the 36 was just numbers, . . . nothing near a size.

I just sent off a $200 belt rig, . . . measured Camano's way, . . . note came back with big thank you, . . . "It fit perfect". Try using some "formula", . . . make a couple of those $200 rigs that don't fit and you'll see that there really is a good way, . . . and it all has to do with measurement.

May God bless,

Dwight

JLSLeather: Just a question about the picture you posted:
Why do you have 2 pictures of a belt in the measurement-section, one for men, one for women? I mean, both need to be measured the same way, and the two pictures don´t have any differences.... so what is this "men - women" thing for?!

Besides that: The idea of a measuring belt/strap is great. I will keep that in mind!

I didn't realize men had this problem. In woman's jeans a size 12 can fit someone from 5'2" and 100 lbs to someone 5" 8" and 145 lbs depending on who made the pants. But I thought a 38 in men's was a 38. This has been helpful to me as well. Cheryl

I just talked to a customer yesterday for a belt. He stated he wanted the belt 34" he said he was skinny and that was the size belt he needed. I told him I would not make the belt unless he measured the belt he was currently wearing. As I told him the fit of the belt is very important and that I can only be as accurate as the numbers that ia m given. He reluctanlty agreed to measure and call me back. When he called me back he said he was going to go on a diet as his belt measured from the hole he uses to the buckle measured 38". People dont consider the fact that you are wrapping the belt around the pants you are wearing, not just putting the belt against your skin.

JLSLeather: Just a question about the picture you posted:

Why do you have 2 pictures of a belt in the measurement-section, one for men, one for women? I mean, both need to be measured the same way, and the two pictures don´t have any differences.... so what is this "men - women" thing for?!

Besides that: The idea of a measuring belt/strap is great. I will keep that in mind!

Not so much any more, but 'back in the day' the girls used to thread their belt the other way - like shown in the picture. S'pose the same way their shirt buttons are on the other side.

For the measurement, it doesn't make a bit of difference. But, if you have LETTERING on the belt, or a design where the top needs to be the top (not reversed), then which way you thread it will matter. Don't think so? Take anything printed, and flip it 180° ...

This is the reason the belts have "men" and "women" right on them. I've been that route .. where somebody wants a name on a belt, but forgets to mention that the girl is wearing it with a trophy rodeo award that needs to be worn in the direction of the "man" belt. Also been there where the guy thinks he should get a new replacement belt because after looking at the pics, he didn't realize it was important that he's left handed and wears his belt the other way (like the "women" one). Even after all this has been discussed, you'll STILL have one here and there who gets it wrong and thinks YOU should 'take care of it"...

OH, I didn't say before, so if it matters, I make belts with 5 holes, 3/4" apart, and 6" past the last hole to the tip. Unless requested otherwise...

Edited by JLSleather

right, I thought about that direction thing in case of things like pants and shirts (buttons), but it is an argument if you start to tool it in any way. If I get you correctly it is just for belts wih anything of decoration, that has a direction. Because for measuring it still doesn´t matter, even if it is worn the other direction, right?

The other measurements fit to those I use.... well, will use. 5 holes, 3/4" - check. 6" past the last hole to the tip is the way I decided to go after (yes.... as always... after ^^) I finished it, but it fits wonderful and in most cases it reaches the first belt loop easily. So again: +1 for that ;)

right, I thought about that direction thing in case of things like pants and shirts (buttons), but it is an argument if you start to tool it in any way. If I get you correctly it is just for belts wih anything of decoration, that has a direction. Because for measuring it still doesn´t matter, even if it is worn the other direction, right?

The other measurements fit to those I use.... well, will use. 5 holes, 3/4" - check. 6" past the last hole to the tip is the way I decided to go after (yes.... as always... after ^^) I finished it, but it fits wonderful and in most cases it reaches the first belt loop easily. So again: +1 for that ;)

That is correct . for size, men's and womens measured the same way. Over there, perhaps you swap CM for IN, otherwise no difference.

Haha, yap,Of course that´s right, but I try to use inch here (or at least both) in this forum, because I had the situation of a big missunderstanding by just using cm already;)

I like to make sure I give my customer's their money's worth, . . . and sometimes it is just a little thing.

On my belts, . . . I use one inch spacing, . . . and I give them 7 holes. Doesn't sound like much, . . . but a 5 hole belt at 3/4 spacing only gives that customer a 1 1/2 inch movement either way, . . . mine gives them 3 inches, . . . fully double.

Just my way of doing things, . . . and not everyone will agree, . . . and that's OK, . . .

May God bless,

Dwight

well, i don't want to step on the toes of the OP, but i have a question that goes along these lines. what if you are putting conchos or some sort of decorations on the belt? how do you make sure it is centered as you look at it from the back? i'm assuming the center concho would fall behind the center belt loop on the pants. but is there a measurement or formula for getting this right?

upon asking this question, i might have answered my own question.....would the center be: half of the distance from the center of the commonly used hole to the tip of the buckle?

Ramrod, the center hole of the holes you punched is the "correct" measurement point.

Go halfway around the belt from there, . . . perfect center point for that belt.

May God bless,

Dwight

so i did have it right...first time this year! :rofl:

thank you, dwight.

I just use a tape measure and have them thread it through the belt loops, haven't missed yet!