BigRiverLeather

A New And Easy Way To Sharpen Your Knives

I stumbled upon the Wicked Edge perusing the interwebs a couple of weeks ago. I've been working on using whet stones on my blades, particularly my round knives which consist of a Osborne #70 cheapo from Tandy, a Stohlman damascus and my beautiful Jeff Cook. I've gotten better at getting an edge using the stones, but by no means do they get me where I want and need to be for production work. I'm stropping 2-3 times per holster side that I cut just to be able to cut fairly easily which quickly deteriorates to having to push hard which is dangerous and results in mistakes. The J Cook though with it's dendritic cobalt alloy steel proved to be a real challenge on the stones. I ended up using a very expensive beautiful tool as a paperweight.

I contacted Clay, the owner of Wicked Edge and asked if he had ever used or had anybody use his system with a round knife. I explained my challenge with the JC blade, the infinite bevel on the edge etc. He offered to try the blade out if I would send it to him. I had nothing to lose and if his system proved worthy, it would be a worthwhile investment not only for my round knives, but for my straight blades as well.

Clay called me after he received the knife. He commented on the quality of the blade but being hand forged he also pointed out that the bevel to the edge was uneven on either side. The end result is that my blade is now ridiculously sharp and at a point that it will be easy to maintain from here on out, especially after I get my back ordered Wicked Edge Sharpener!

AS promised, clay made a video of how the WE works with a round knife. There will be no more guessing on an angle. If I write down the angels that I use, it will be the same every time.

Wicked Edge round knife video

Wicked Edge Website

There may be ways to get as good of an edge on a round knife as what the WE can, but there is no way there is one that will do it better, or for sure, faster and easier.

and, a link to Jeff Cook Blades

I made my purchase during a special promotion WE had for a blade show last week which had a substantial discount for a very nice package. Clay contacted me and offered to extend that discount (which had expired) to the Leatherworker.net members. The code for the discount (I think it was 30% off of the package) is -

ProKitDisc

If I remember right the Pro Kit includes

Wicked Edge Sharpener

the std 100, 200, 400 and 600 grit stones

optional 800 and 1,000 grit stones

5 and 3.5 micron strops

The Wicked Edge base

IIRC this kit is $390 but with the discount it was $275 plus shipping. I don't have that kind of money just laying around, but I see this as a huge time saver not to mention putting a ridiculous edge on my knives which will help my production. Time = Money.

FWIW, I also purchased the Ceramic hones that are 1200 and 1600 grit.

I certainly agree that the discount is worthy of consideration as is the equipment. I would really need to sharpen a lot of knives to warrant even the $275.

A side note: I believe I could build a pretty close facsimile of the equipment. That is not taking anything away from the WE,

ferg

I made my purchase during a special promotion WE had for a blade show last week which had a substantial discount for a very nice package. Clay contacted me and offered to extend that discount (which had expired) to the Leatherworker.net members. The code for the discount (I think it was 30% off of the package) is -

ProKitDisc

If I remember right the Pro Kit includes

Wicked Edge Sharpener

the std 100, 200, 400 and 600 grit stones

optional 800 and 1,000 grit stones

5 and 3.5 micron strops

The Wicked Edge base

IIRC this kit is $390 but with the discount it was $275 plus shipping. I don't have that kind of money just laying around, but I see this as a huge time saver not to mention putting a ridiculous edge on my knives which will help my production. Time = Money.

FWIW, I also purchased the Ceramic hones that are 1200 and 1600 grit.