hardhead

Stitching Machine

Can anyone advise what brand stitching machine is the better one to get? There are a lot of choices out there and a lot of the machines seem to be the same,,I have a tippman boss now and want to upgrade..Ive looked at the cobra and cowboy models..the one thing i do want is the machine to sew 7/8's thick..any advise would be great.

Thanks..Don.

Hi Don,

This really depends on if 7/8 inch is

1. An all day everyday thing

2. Once in a while, but usually less

3. usually 7/8 and below but occasionally 1"

441s and Clones are usually "out of the box" made for 3/4". Dealers who service the leatherwork trade make them better suited for 7/8". Campbell machines are capable of whatever they are set-up for, within reason, say 1 1/4 max, and if you are going to be doing 7/8" all day, get a high lift. Campbell-Randall is a full service sewing machine company that remanufactures older needle and awl machines and all sorts of leatherworking machinery. Good folks to deal with, I have a Campbell lock stitch machine. I've never really needed the high lift. If I ever need the high lift, I would send mine back and have it converted, or maybe get a Cyclone.

I'll say this now, my Campbell stays set-up for 5-cord linen thread. Never changes. If you plan on doing all sorts of things, you will be better off with a Cowboy 4500 or other 441 clone that can push up to 7/8" when needed but is easy to change thread etc., well relatively easy. The 441s tend to like 277, 346, and 415 (some of them) and 138 sometimes. If you do any production leatherwork, and by production I mean custom production, not a factory, you have to learn to design your work and workflow around the machines you have to eliminate to the extent possible working on them or changing thread, especially sizes. This is why you most times end up with two or a few sewing machines. Changing colors can cause the occasional problem as the different colors come off the spool differently and cause tension problems. So the less changes the better. I have two Landis Model 12 curved needle machines that have black and white, that probably hasn't changed since they were made (good thing I have two because you do forget how to thread them).

So let us know what you intend to use your machine for so we can give you better advise.

Art

Thanks for the information...I plan on using the machine for Knife sheaths and gun holsters mainly...But wanted a good quality machine that will hold up..

Thanks for the information...I plan on using the machine for Knife sheaths and gun holsters mainly...But wanted a good quality machine that will hold up..

Hi Don,

The 441 clone like the Cowboy 4500 or such will do just fine. Many holster maker on leatherworker.net use one of the machines. A good machine that will sew most anything.

Art

Hi I am looking at buying a leather sewing machine and found these two on ebay atlas -Koch and singer 31K20 does any one have any advice ? I want the product to look like hand stitching

Hi I am looking at buying a leather sewing machine and found these two on ebay atlas -Koch and singer 31K20 does any one have any advice ? I want the product to look like hand stitching

Yeah...don't we all...you and everyone else.

Sewing machines aren't going to look like hand stitching. The only thing that looks as good as a saddle-stitch is saddle-stitching.

The only machines even close are needle and awl machines...and even then, people like me that hand stitch are going to tell our potential customers how to tell the difference and why our way is better.

Sorry...I have a terrible headache right now. Please insert smilie faces and lol's where needed to suit your taste as I do not mean for my post to sound derogatory. I only meant to say that there's no shortcut to good looking stitching. I have a CB3200 (441 clone) and the backside stitches look like garbage. Everyone I've asked about it just tells me that's normal and to get a needle and awl machine, so I just kept hand stitching the items I sell.

Edited by 25b

Ok,

A Campbell can do it or come close for about $5000. But there again, Hermes doesn't use a machine, they pay the man hours. A good saddle stitcher can work surprisingly fast, and even though I have a Campbell, I have to saddle stitch in places the Campbell won't go. Learn to saddle stitch before you get a machine of any kind. It is a cheap way to start, invest a hundred or two in tools, and when you get good enough you might think twice before buying that machine. The 31k20 is a medium to lightweight machine good for around 6 oz leather 8 oz of soft leather and 33 or 69 thread. They are used by bootmakers to decorate boot tops.

Art