My boss gave me an old compressor, an Air Force I believe, and a a Passche single action airbrush. The compressor has been left outside, and I would like to clean it up and see if it still works. I'm kind of hesitant to just plug it in and throw the switch to see if it works. Are there any steps that I need to take to make sure I don't burn it up right off the bat? I think I have the manual for it, or can probably find it online.

This is what I would do.

If it's a belt driven compressor, remove the belt and test run the motor. Next check the condition and level of the compressor oil. Turn the pulley to see if the piston will turn. Change the compressor oil if required.

Open the valves on the tank and run the compressor. Close the valve and check if the cut off switch works.

One thing you can't check is the condition of the tank on the inside.

singteck

Kate: I don't know about rust on the tank. It was given to me shortly before I got hurt last year, so I never really took the time to look at it. I have some friends coming over this weekend to do some work on my house, so I thought I would get one of them to bring it in the house so I could look it over and maybe get it running.

singteck: Sounds like a good idea, if it needs compressor oil, what should I use if the owners manual doesn't specify.

Thanks guys.

singteck: Sounds like a good idea, if it needs compressor oil, what should I use if the owners manual doesn't specify.

I am not sure if you can use normal engine oil in it. Compressor oil will be marked compressor oil. The difference between the two is compressor oil does not contain detergent. The detergent is used to suspend the particles in the oil. The basic principle is to use oil with detergent if the machine have a filter and non detergent oil if it doesn't.

singteck