rickybobby

Learning About The Sewing Machine You Just Bought

Beginner Sewing machine class interest poll  

21 members have voted

1. 1. If there was a class at a local Tandy Store

• I would be very interested
    • I would need to see if others thought it was any good
    • No, I will just learn on my own
  2. 2. Who would you prefer the class be taught by?

• Someone from a sewing machine company
    • Someone with leather working experience that has used the machines
  3. 3. What type of machine do you need the most help with

• Stitcher (Heavy leather type machine, saddle skirting, holsters,gunbelts)
    • Table model (compound feed type, used for chaps, bags, wallets, ect.)
    • Single feed (used for garment weight leather and cordura)
    • Manual type (Tippman Boss)
    • Patcher (long arm type used for shoe rpr., bags, sleeve's on jackets)
  4. 4. My sewing machine experience is...

• None
    • None but I have a machine I would like to use
    • I use a machine some
    • I use several types of machines but would like to try others
    • I have used them all and are comfortable with them
    • I would like to expand my use of other machines for differnt applications

Hi all,

I am curious to see if there is an interest in a beginner class geared towards learning more about how to work the new sewing machine you just bought? Or are thinking of buying. I spent decades hand sewing because I knew nothing about sewing machines (leather was just a hobby for me during that time). After I started working in leather full time I started using machines, they were at the saddle shops I worked in and I was able to use a couple different types.

I still was unsure exactly what machines I would need at home. After speaking to sewing machine company reps I was still unsure (theirs was always the best pick ;>) )

I thought that if I could get some help from someone that was working on the same things I was that I could get some straight answers and if I could try some different machines side by side to see their limitations it would clear up a lot of questions.

I know that many of you have stepped up your leather skills and took the jump into a machine, and most of us have never sat in front of one before! I am not that far from there!

I have been approached to give a beginner type class with a few different levels of machines (that I own). A stitcher, a flat bed compound feed, and a lighter bottom feed, and a patcher. I want to make it clear I have been sewing with machines only 4 years and do not have the mechanics knowledge or history knowledge of the LW Forums experts like Wiz, Art, and some others here that have years of background and abilities with the skills to match. I still consider myself a beginner in sewing machines but with a little basic knowledge.

I only bring to the table the fact that I am only scratching the surface and consider myself 1 or 2 steps beyond hand stitching. I see so many posts here that I can't help but think that maybe a class like this can help fill a little gap to make someone feel more at ease about buying a machine or helping them conquer their new purchase.

I have no affiliation with any company, in fact I own 4 different company's machines. My only intent is to help those that the machine company cannot help over the phone, that is to give them some experience with feeling comfortable with their machine or some knowledge to purchase.

If there is something I am missing or could be of interest, please post it here. Any and all questions are good ones and there is a lot of talented people here on LW.net that may have an answer.

Thank you,

There is lots of interest but it would be too far to travel I would guess.

A college course at home that would last a few weeks would be great.

The guys here are pretty good at answering the questions.

Lets see Rick. You going to set up a a full course.

Start with needle and thread choices? Suppliers?

Next machines for different needs? Wallets, gloves. boots, belts, holsters and let's see bags and maybe saddles?

Machine choices, including accessories, guides and plates? Ancient Singers to say 441 clones. Needles for all needs to match threads.

TRUST ME I THINK IT'S A GREAT IDEA!

Written criteria and a lesson plan would be great. Objectives. plans and decisive outputs would be good. Step by step plans to achieve the goals, really nice. Includes daily plans for day one, two etc.

Materials and take-home patterns a real plus! Home study guides and exercises would be nice. Output and achievments, necessary! Maybe a DIPLOMA?

Travel expenses VS. value a true question.

Good idea! Do it.

Kevin

How about a internet based class. Granted a in person class/hands on is much better but a web class would rock too. I could see there be a whole series of classes. I know when I got my first machine I was totally lost as I had never sewn anything.

There is lots of interest but it would be too far to travel I would guess.

A college course at home that would last a few weeks would be great.

The guys here are pretty good at answering the questions.

Hi,

I realize that Phoenix is too far for most to attend a class. After talking to the TLF Mgr. again today, told him I was investigating the class possibilities, main questions, and concerns of fellow leather workers. That is what I am trying to gather from suggestions and questions from LW.net members. I agree a college course with the type of machines we use for leather work would be great and yes, a lot of our questions are answered here!

Lets see Rick. You going to set up a a full course.

Start with needle and thread choices? Suppliers?

Next machines for different needs? Wallets, gloves. boots, belts, holsters and let's see bags and maybe saddles?

Machine choices, including accessories, guides and plates? Ancient Singers to say 441 clones. Needles for all needs to match threads.

TRUST ME I THINK IT'S A GREAT IDEA!

Written criteria and a lesson plan would be great. Objectives. plans and decisive outputs would be good. Step by step plans to achieve the goals, really nice. Includes daily plans for day one, two etc.

Materials and take-home patterns a real plus! Home study guides and exercises would be nice. Output and achievments, necessary! Maybe a DIPLOMA?

Travel expenses VS. value a true question.

Good idea! Do it.

Kevin

Kevin,

Thanks for the suggestions! I will go over threads & needles. As far as the different needs I thought the basic needs of most of the leather workers would be a place to start. Sewing two layers of 3/4 oz. , Chap leather to 7/8oz veg tan. these would be for the Flatbed Compound Feed, and Heavier veg-tan multilayer for holsters, sheathes, and gunbelts. The Long Arm Patcher could be a "demo" to show some how many uses this type of machine there is in our craft.

The lesson plan will include any suggestions that some of our LeatherWorker.net members have. I could use some help, suggestions to get an idea of what to include. I have done holster and chap classes with my machines at the Tandy store, but the main focus was the class not the machine. I have never had all 4 of my machines at the store at once though!

I will include a handout with information, websites, and course highlights and I always share any patterns I have if it fills a persons needs.

A diploma! lol!! That and $4.00 will get you a coffee at Starbucks!

How about a internet based class. Granted a in person class/hands on is much better but a web class would rock too. I could see there be a whole series of classes. I know when I got my first machine I was totally lost as I had never sewn anything.

I have found some really good information on YouTube with lots of demos.

The manager at Tandy is asked quite often from people that just bought a machine but are having trouble. That is why he thought a class might help them. I thought that those interested in a machine may try some out and may also see why a machine set up for leather works better then those listed on Ebay that SAY they will work on leather but always disappoint when they use it at home.

suggestions to get an idea of what to include

An illustration showing the parts of a sewing machine would be a good place to start.

FERDCO ( www.ferdco.com ) has taught a class for the last two years on the use and adjustments of industrial sewing machines. Ron teaches both a cylinder and a flat bed machine. He uses a FERCO machine as a demo, but gives addition generic information that applies to other companies. The class is shown how to make all the adjustments: tension, timing and proper selection of needles and threads. I learned more in the 4 hour class than all the readings through leatherworker.net and Google searches over many years. The class is held in November in Pendleton, Oregon during FERDCO's weekend Leather Show. Also a great place to buy from several tool and leather companies. Contact Ron or Cheryl at FERDCO for details:

Ferdco Corp.

PO Box 65

128 N Frederick Ave.

Harrison Idaho 83833

Toll Free - 800-645-0197

Canada - 208-689-3006

Fax - 208-689-3008

Email - ferdco@live.com

Website - www.ferdco.com

Bob Stelmack

www.pslac.org

FERDCO ( www.ferdco.com ) has taught a class for the last two years on the use and adjustments of industrial sewing machines. Ron teaches both a cylinder and a flat bed machine. He uses a FERCO machine as a demo, but gives addition generic information that applies to other companies. The class is shown how to make all the adjustments: tension, timing and proper selection of needles and threads. I learned more in the 4 hour class than all the readings through leatherworker.net and Google searches over many years. The class is held in November in Pendleton, Oregon during FERDCO's weekend Leather Show. Also a great place to buy from several tool and leather companies. Contact Ron or Cheryl at FERDCO for details:

Ferdco Corp.

PO Box 65

128 N Frederick Ave.

Harrison Idaho 83833

Toll Free - 800-645-0197

Canada - 208-689-3006

Fax - 208-689-3008

Email - ferdco@live.com

Website - www.ferdco.com

Bob Stelmack

www.pslac.org

That sounds like a great class! Timing a machine is something I have not needed to do yet but when I do, I will wish I could have gone to this class.

Thanks for the information Bob.

Good idea... TechSew University kind of has a nice ring to it whistle.gif

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

You could be the official Sponsor!! We can have the class in the "TechSew Stadium"

If there are any questions that you get that you cannot fix over the phone is the information that a class like this is for. Beginning users (for leather) and the difficulties that they are having.

There are some things that we learn on our own and take a while that if we were shown in the first week of using a machine, a lot of wasted time and leather could be avoided. As well as phone calls to you guys.

What would be the top 5 questions that beginners have to you that can only be helped in person (showing someone on a machine)?

I'm happy to report I've started an educational section on our website for exactly these purposes. Visit http://shop.raphaelsewing.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=5

Basically you can read about different feeding systems, bobbins, thread, motors, presser feet and more. We will be constantly updating this section with any suggestions I read in this thread.

Additionally, customers can choose options from the drop down list of applications to be directed to the perfect machine for their needs.

One of the questions we get very often when a customer receives a machine is related to threading. This is why we make threading videos for all of our machines and pre-thread every machine prior to shipment. Other common questions are related to adjusting machine tension, thread and needle size compatibility, presser foot installation and bobbin winding.

If anyone would like to offer suggestions I'd be happy to add them to our educational section for the world to see.

Cheers to Rick for the great idea.

Ron @ Techsew

Hi all. With every COBRA Class 4 comes a DVD that shows tips, techniques, maintenance, and timing. As a bonus, you will see my beautiful mug all the way through it! Steve

I'm happy to report I've started an educational section on our website for exactly these purposes. Visit http://shop.raphaels..._page=page&id=5

Basically you can read about different feeding systems, bobbins, thread, motors, presser feet and more. We will be constantly updating this section with any suggestions I read in this thread.

Additionally, customers can choose options from the drop down list of applications to be directed to the perfect machine for their needs.

One of the questions we get very often when a customer receives a machine is related to threading. This is why we make threading videos for all of our machines and pre-thread every machine prior to shipment. Other common questions are related to adjusting machine tension, thread and needle size compatibility, presser foot installation and bobbin winding.

If anyone would like to offer suggestions I'd be happy to add them to our educational section for the world to see.

Cheers to Rick for the great idea.

Ron @ Techsew

Ron,

Good to see that some of these questions have a place to get answered. Now some new users can get some questions answered. I know you are one of two distributors that someone can rely on to answer their phone calls!

Rick

Hi all. With every COBRA Class 4 comes a DVD that shows tips, techniques, maintenance, and timing. As a bonus, you will see my beautiful mug all the way through it! Steve

Steve,

Looking at your face when there are sewing machine troubles is a comfort! The rest of the time, welllll ??? lol!!

Steve I know you go out of your way to be accessible to your clients as well, you are one of two in the business that believes that customer service is important! I have had first hand experience with yours and it is outstanding.

I have not seen the DVD, I think that it is a great idea, just like Ron from TechSew that have YouTube videos on such topics.

Maybe all the bases are covered by you guys but, maybe there is a need for some "hands on" in person (beginning) sewing lessons?

Any and all thoughts are considered here, and appreciated. Remember this is for folks pretty new to machines or with little or no experience.

Rick

Steve,

Looking at your face when there are sewing machine troubles is a comfort! The rest of the time, welllll ??? lol!!

Steve I know you go out of your way to be accessible to your clients as well, you are one of two in the business that believes that customer service is important! I have had first hand experience with yours and it is outstanding.

I have not seen the DVD, I think that it is a great idea, just like Ron from TechSew that have YouTube videos on such topics.

Maybe all the bases are covered by you guys but, maybe there is a need for some "hands on" in person (beginning) sewing lessons?

Any and all thoughts are considered here, and appreciated. Remember this is for folks pretty new to machines or with little or no experience.

Rick

Thanks Rick. I would be glad to send anyone who wants a DVD at no charge. Some of the timing settings may vary per machine, but everything else is standard procedure. Please call me at 1-866-962-9880 if you are interested. Thanks, Steve

So lets see the results of all this discussion:

We (THE FORUM) needs a Pinned training course on sewing A. In General, cloth and canvas and leather and..and.

B. Leather sewing specific

C. Sewing Machines and operations. (Choosing is well covered)

All Signature and Sponsoring suppliers to Contribute. All in one place.

No Kybitzing or opinions from others, remarks can be made in another post and addressed by a Sponsor.

Be general, but go ahead and BOOST your machine and service. NO derogitory remarks, not backed by fact.

whatdoyouthink.gif

grouphug5vj5.gif

Kevin

PS: Where the hell is the spell check on this thing?

On 2/15/2012 at 2:09 AM, rickybobby said:

Hi,

I realize that Phoenix is too far for most to attend a class. After talking to the TLF Mgr. again today, told him I was investigating the class possibilities, main questions, and concerns of fellow leather workers. That is what I am trying to gather from suggestions and questions from LW.net members. I agree a college course with the type of machines we use for leather work would be great and yes, a lot of our questions are answered here!

Thank you for answer!