Sjm1027

I could really use some help with making patterns...

Being from Massachusetts I really never get a chance to see anyone working leather. Thats why I like Leatherworker.net so much... I have received so much help from this group, I would be lost without you all. Does anyone have any recommendations on instructional DVD's. I could really use some help with making patterns... getting my ideas to a pattern is what I am having trouble with. It would also be nice to get a DVD to watch someone take a project from beginning to end. I enjoy making cases, bags and small boxes.

Thanks

Steve

Hello

I found this tonight. They are mini movies on a blog. Found them intresting. Here is the site.

www.johan-potgieter.com/leatherlearn/ These are free mini clips.

There is another one but I can't find it right now. You have to buy the dvds from it.

The other site is Leatherskills.com

I don't anything about the dvd's other than what the site says.

Chuck Burrows sheath and holster videos are completely top notch

Hey Steve,

I'm a big fan of Jeremiah Watt's tooling video. It is basic enough for the newest newbie and covers everything up to layout for saddle fenders. I have found that if you can fit a pattern into a saddle fender, most other shapes won't be too challenging. I have been pounding on leather for over 30 years, self taught from books (they didn't even have tape players back then, let alone instructional tapes!) and Watt had a bunch of tips I had never heard of.

I have also ordered Pete Gorrell's tooling lay-out book this week, but it hasn't arrived yet. I'm really looking forward to getting it, and I'll let you know when it gets here.

Mike

Hey Steve,

I'm a big fan of Jeremiah Watt's tooling video. It is basic enough for the newest newbie and covers everything up to layout for saddle fenders. I have found that if you can fit a pattern into a saddle fender, most other shapes won't be too challenging. I have been pounding on leather for over 30 years, self taught from books (they didn't even have tape players back then, let alone instructional tapes!) and Watt had a bunch of tips I had never heard of.

I have also ordered Pete Gorrell's tooling lay-out book this week, but it hasn't arrived yet. I'm really looking forward to getting it, and I'll let you know when it gets here.

Mike

I am also interested in Assembly. It would be nice to see some assembly techniques on DVD.

Actually tooling DVD is good too. I will check it out

Thanks

Hidecrafter carries a large selection of instructional dvd's.

I'm a graphic artist by trade. I use a professional drawing program called Adobe Illustrator. I draw what I want, print it out, them use spray mount adhesive to mount it to thin cardboard. Then I use my leather punches to punch the holes in the cardboard. Then I can place the template over a strap and use the hole punch to mark the strap where I want the holes.

I find it much more precise than using a flimsy paper template.

I can even scan in pieces of hardware, like halter squares and include them in my plans.

Hidecrafter carries a large selection of instructional dvd's.

Hey Steve, I agree with Clay. Hidecrafter's videos are cheap and they are very helpful. Its nice to see another northerner on here.

Always somebody wanting to help ... if you're writing a check :asoapbox: I think the trend these days is to "partner" with Tandy [and some others] and give "classes" at $50 - $500 a whack, which they split. Or make a DVD. Or write a book. Same thing, really ... supposed to look "professional", but in the end it's just another hustle. I've seen some "classes" where you should be learning what NOT to do. And some of them are actually quite GOOD at it, but have decided the money is better (or easier) to talk than to craft.

I'm always getting asked about how I did this or that, so I've been thinking about some simple instruction pieces. No DVDs, simply not necessary. But I'm almost caught up to the point where I can make a few basic items with enough pause in there to take some still shots and later write a .pdf file I can send to anyone who wants it.

As in free. Meantime, if you have a specific question ... or need a particular cutting pattern (long as it's mine)...

There is an excellent FREE tutorial at www.bowstock.co.uk and it should help with patterns and other things. While on the subject, you might want to check out another UK site......www.kingmorecrafts. Hope this helps!!!

There is a series of Al Stohlman books on cases. I have them, and they have some good info in them. Mine came in a batch of gear I bought from someone who was liquidating their leather gear.

It may be my background in machining, and fabrication, but I usually don't have a problem making the pattern. Figuring out the design is another story.