Danielvetpath

Messenger Bag - Should I Skive Gusset?

I just beginning a messenger bag. I am going to use a single square edged gusset and stitch front and bag to it - edges facing out. Should I skive this seam at any point (e.g. corners) or keep it full thickness? I am using 5-6 oz veg tanned leather - Wickett and Craig. Thanks for any insight. This is bag #1.

This is bag #1.

The picture did not post in my view. :(

I make motorcycle bag and purses, most as you described, and I usually always skive the edge. In my opinion it lays in much nicer. In fact I skive all the edges, back front and gusset. This gives a much narrower "edge" IMHO. I'm sure others will jump in with other opinions, and that is what is so great about this forum. Cheers.Eccho

Thanks for the input Eccho. I look forward to what others have to say. I didn't attach a picture Calait. I meant to say that this is the first bag like this that I am making. It sill looks like a side of veg tanned leather :)

Depending on how thick your leather is will determine how much, if any, you should skive. For motorcycle gear that has been professionally made you will find that all edges that are exposed to view and are matched up with another edge of leather are typically skived. This gives the bag edges a clean and tapered look that is sometimes not found in low budget commercial production shops. I personally skive the edges where the stitching is going to be on all handbags, shoulder bags, messenger bags, satchel bags and other such items. When dealing with the thinner leathers I tend to let this go as there is so little thickness anyway, I prefer to not create a future failure opportunity.

For the thinner leathers I basically mean anything 4 to 5 oz. or less. The only exception with 4 to 5 oz. is when making a phone case or anything that is along that type of project line. I will lightly skive the edges where assembly points will be but then I double stitch those areas to ensure that the durability remains as it should.

Interesting input NVLeatherWorx! Any rule of thumb for how much to skive depending of thickness?