PeterD

hatbands

I just finished a hatband and thought I would share an easy technique for making a hatband that fits flush with the hat. The problem being of course that if you make a one inch or more wide hatband the top circumfrence must be less than the bottom circumferance. Al Shelton shared a technique in the old leathercrafter's magazine that is so easy that even I can do it.

First cut a straight strip the length you need. Carve or stamp as desired. Then take the very damp cased leather and start stretching the bottom edge between your fingers. DONT TOUCH THE TOP EDGE. As the bottom edge stretches and the top doesn't the leather strip will take on a curved shape. When the curved edge matches the hat you will have a form fitted hatband. Much easier than trying to cut out a curve in the first place.

crystal_hat_band._003.jpgpeter, that is how i do mine

this is one i did this week it has the crystal rivets from tandy on it. i also did a whip stich on the brim with pink kangroo lace.

the hat is made by "buckaroo hatters". he has a web site if one wants to check it out.

post-1906-1212966119_thumb.jpg

Edited by Luke Hatley

Luke,

I hope thats not your hat! LOL

ArtS

crystal_hat_band._003.jpgpeter, that is how i do mine

this is one i did this week it has the crystal rivets from tandy on it. i also did a whip stich on the brim with pink kangroo lace.

the hat is made by "buckaroo hatters". he has a web site if one wants to check it out.

Luke,

I hope thats not your hat! LOL

ArtS

No, that is not for me... but the lady that is getting is FINE... a SASS MEMBER...

Careful - she has guns and knows how to use them. :spoton:

ArtS

No, that is not for me... but the lady that is getting is FINE... a SASS MEMBER...