screed

Wrapping The Nevada Twist On Fenders?

Hi all,

I am just wondering if someone out there would be kind enough to post some photos of how they start wrapping the pieces of latigo around their fenders when they put a Nevada twist in and how they terminate it?

Thanks in advance.

Good question. I'd like to know the different ways that people do this also. I've never seen any postings of this process, and I question the way that I do it. Hope someone comments.

I don't have any pics of how I do it, but; I wrap it just like you would the line loops on a fishing rod. Start with the tail folded under the whole length of the intended wrap, along side that is a separate piece of stitching thread that loops down past the bottom and back. Then I wrap over the whole thing with about 4 or 5 wraps (or more if you desire), of the latigo lace (about 3/16" wide and wet" , when I get to the end I stick the end through the loop made by the stitching thread at the bottom, and pull it back under the wraps all the way to the top. Pull it tight and cut off the excess. The tighter you pull it the better result you will have when it dries. Hope this made sense.

Bob

I punch an oval hole in the fold where I want the twist to start, then take a ~ 3/16 - 1/4 latigo string with tapered edges and do a small, folded button on the end and run it inside out throgh that oval hole, wrap up (the stirrup leather, fender end are dripping wet for this so they'll pull down tight when wrapped) but prior to this, I have trimmed the fender portion so that the twist can be smooth and roundish, pull it tight and down through the wrap, leaving a few inches to hang down. Thus, if the wrap comes off in use, the string is easily used to put it back.

I've seen it done with one piece of leather and also seen it done with a latigo strap.

Here's a web site that uses the strap method. It's more crude looking than the one piece of leather method, but maybe it will help.

. -----> http://twistandwrap.blogspot.com

The one piece of leather method is basically the same way, but you squeeze the leather than wrap the one piece of leather around and lace the back of the leather.

Edited by GrampaJoel

Thanks everyone for replying. It is all very helpful and informative info