Sign in to follow this  
Mudruck

1911 Owb Retention

Looking at doing some OWB holsters for a 1911 and wondering what you guys do about retention on a OWB holster for a 1911. My other pistols no problem, give it a good retention strap, but with the way a 1911 is meant to be carried, what do you think about a strap or what are some other options for retention for a 1911 in a OWB config?

Thanks all

For an OWB for a 1911, . . . I prefer a pancake, . . . no strap, . . . no thumb-break.

I mold it tight, . . . stitch it tight, . . . haven't lost one yet, . . . but I suppose there is a first time for everything.

There are enough "edges" on the inside of a properly molded 1911 holster to keep it secure in my opinion.

May God bless,

Dwight

+1 for what Dwight said... My preference is for a tightly molded pancake or Askins style holster with no retention strap. The molding and tight sew line works perfect for retention in most every circumstance short of an L.E. Duty holster set up. With that said, I have made a couple of thumb break OWB holsters, at the customer's request , making sure that I mold the thumb break between the hammer and the slide, for cocked and locked carry. (making sure to mold the holster with the thumb safety in the UP position.)

-my dos centavos...

-Tac