Sign in to follow this  
King's X

Attache Case: Finally done!

For those of you who saw my portfolio case, here is the matching Attache case. I am sssoooo glad it is done. I am a hobbyist at this craft, but because a friend asked, I decided to take this commission. This was my first commission piece and probably my last. I am way to hard on myself. The front panel is the second one and almost the did it again after making two major boos. If you look closely, you will find them. I was not able to "cat scratch" them to cover them up. There is a big reason why the pictures are smal.

Oh, I almost forgot again. My black belt broken, so I made another one for myself. I used an old Tandy craftaid pattern by "Chuck Smith." This was a different type of project and my first belt.

Thanks for lookings. Please critique away, maybe I missed something.

P7183550.JPG

P7183552.JPG

P7183547.JPG

P7183545.JPG

post-6330-1247946357_thumb.jpg

post-6330-1247946378_thumb.jpg

post-6330-1247946403_thumb.jpg

post-6330-1247946623_thumb.jpg

Edited by King's X

Dont it make you feel bad when that happens..........

Well you almost got an A +................

That looks really good IMO. I like the deep contrast you have going on with the floral pattern.

I see that you dyed the background, was wondering on the floral though did you dye some of it or did you use antique?

Yea Luke..beyond mad. I appreciate the A.

As for the process, here is what I usually do.

Case overnight with glass

carve and let dry

Olive Oil and throw it on the back of my truck for a short tanning session.

Dye the background Lt. Brown Fiebing's Oil Dye

Let dry a good day

apply RTC (Bee Natural) finish {really good} and let dry.

Then apply ECO FLO Antique Medium Brown gel

Final coat of Natural wax with soft towel.

The swivel cut areas, just get cased, craved and let it dry.

Apply RTC and make sure it covers well. That's it.

King.....I sure don't spot any boo-boos. I did think I saw a splotch of dye on the edge that might not be where it should be, but other than that, I'm stumped. It looks real good. I really like the way the leaf from the underside matched up with the leaf on the front. That took some very careful planning. Good work. And, thanks for the "how to" concerning your finishing technique. That finish looks awesome. You did good.

You did a nice job .. your fabrication and carving on the inside of the lid are great .... I applaud you for a brief case.

Glad to see you doing it

Happy Tooling

Tim

L/R & Tim: Appreciate the great comments. I thought the overlap leaf would be a good touch for the owner. The inside customized plate idea came from one of Al Stohlman's cases in one of his books.

Appreciate you.

Nice work Sam

it looks sweet you hit a home run

great work

Josh

That's come up really nice King's X, the contrast sets it off beautifully.

JBird & CEM

I appreciate the comments. It was my first case, so it took much too long. I've got the admit that the Stohlman directions were A+, but I get Murphy's law got involved in the process. It was this project that made me think if I continue with commissions, that I better get a sewing machine. I went through about a dozen of my sewing needles. This finish is something that I picked up from George Hurst and I really like the way it turns out when I use Herman Oak Leather. The inside flap is a 3oz Tandy hide that they had on special that I needed at the last minute. Oh well.

Thanks.

Regardless of any mistakes you made (I couldn't see any!) this case is fantastic! Beautiful design and I love the contrast you put into this. It really pops.

Thanks for showing!

-Andy

I appreciate all of the comments. I feel much better to all of you that took the time to response. You accepted it, therefore, I accept it. A beautiful thing happened late last night. I received a phone call and on the end, it turned out to be Mr. Mosqueda, the person that this was made for. After a length conversation and about 100 thank you's from him, a couple of things he said stuck out in my mind that I would like to share with you.

He said that this gift brought him to tears because his wife took the pain staking time to seek someone to built such a beautiful item by hand. Mr. Mosqueda, who is 70 years old, said that the gift is extra special because it was made by hand, here in Texas. Besides his stint at Norte Dame, he has always lived in Texas. He wanted to know if I would share the photographs so that he can send them to family all over the USA. His wife (my friend & coworker) said that he has taken the portfolio everywhere he goes. To dinner, on shopping errands and family gatherings. If that doesn't show appreciation for the gift, wow. Anyways, he left me with inspiration to continue my craft and learn more and mostly share what I have to date.

I told him that I had shared his projects with the best leather crafters and enthusiasts (online) in the world (actually this place is that) and also told him about your comments. He was really excited to hear that there many who share the interest in what he thought was a 'dying' art of leather craft. He recalled as a kid all of the beautiful things that were produced by leather crafters and saddle makers. He said that he appreciated my efforts and mostly my heart given to his items and told me to 'drive on!'

I know that a lot of times we never get this type of appreciation, but I wanted to extend this appreciation and congranulatory comments because many of you have shared your knowledge and skill with me. You deserve part of this, so here you go. Great job and many thanks.

Sam

That is totally awesome to hear. I'm glad that you shared this with us. Warm fuzzies all around.

King you did a great job. Very, very excellent. Your just like me, too hard on your self. The couple of projects I done recently are the first one's I've done I many many years, and I picked each one of them apart. To everyone I showed them too, they say the same thing, you got to be kidding, they look fantastic. I take what I have done and try and learn where I need to improve. I know I need a lot more practice, but I am now committed to going on and getting back to where I was and where I would like to be, as good as my father. I have set a very high bar for myself, more then most people, cause I had a mentor, a mentor that meant so very much to me and I hope that he can see my determination even now that he is not here anymore, and be proud of me. And I am proud of you, and your work is definitely one of heart and sole. Don't ever stop, you definitely have what it takes and the talent to do it. My very best to you, Dennis.

Edited by Deno

Deno: I appreciate your comments.