ABC3

Sharpening a Oblong punch

I posted this question before but, I think, in the wrong place, thus no response. I think now I've found the correct area & will ask the question again.

I have an Osborne 1 1/2" Bag/Oblong punch that is a week old that I need to sharpen. Can anyone tell me how to do it using a Osborne Bench Stone?

Thanks for your help.

Tom,

If I was using a bench stone I would sharpen it just like you would a knife...toward the cutting edge. It probably needs a little of the shoulder removed, just be careful not to take too much. I use a diamond hone to do mine or I put it a paper wheel which is mounted to a 1750 rpm grinder motor. I then take it to a couple different buffing wheels. Sometimes I use a bench mounted belt sander. Be careful not to get it too hot...it'll ruin the temper of the steel (if it is tempered). It's pretty easy to overheat using the machines. Hope this helps,

Bob

Bob, thanks for the come back. I'll try it.

I posted this question before but, I think, in the wrong place, thus no response. I think now I've found the correct area & will ask the question again.

I have an Osborne 1 1/2" Bag/Oblong punch that is a week old that I need to sharpen. Can anyone tell me how to do it using a Osborne Bench Stone?

Thanks for your help.

Hi Tom

have you got a Dremel Grinder? Why I ask is this. When you sharpen the outer edge of any Crew (Slot) Punch, you will get a burr on the inside of the Crew and it has to be removed. If not in time your Punch will bend inwards or break under the pressure of the outer angle.

So I sharpen using either a Sharpening stone or a coarse Buff. Then I remove the Burr with my Dremel using a fine domed stone. I actually take a minute amount off the inside of the Cutting edge to counteract the pressure from the angle of the outside sharpened edge. This way I am able to keep my punches from deforming.

Funny how not many answered your query. It seems that Sharpening Punches is something that is sorely overlooked. I know that I didn't worry much for my first 20 years or so, until I started to run out of my good Dixon punches as they were misshappen. Then I woke up and started to clean up the inside. I haven't had a problem since. Ever add up how many punches there are in a complete set of Round, Oval, Crew and Bag. 53 in total plus all the other special punches like Brace end etc. Gets very expensive, so they are worth looking after as I found out.

Please have a Happy Day.

Kindest Regards.

Jim.

Hi Tom

have you got a Dremel Grinder? Why I ask is this. When you sharpen the outer edge of any Crew (Slot) Punch, you will get a burr on the inside of the Crew and it has to be removed. If not in time your Punch will bend inwards or break under the pressure of the outer angle.

So I sharpen using either a Sharpening stone or a coarse Buff. Then I remove the Burr with my Dremel using a fine domed stone. I actually take a minute amount off the inside of the Cutting edge to counteract the pressure from the angle of the outside sharpened edge. This way I am able to keep my punches from deforming.

Funny how not many answered your query. It seems that Sharpening Punches is something that is sorely overlooked. I know that I didn't worry much for my first 20 years or so, until I started to run out of my good Dixon punches as they were misshappen. Then I woke up and started to clean up the inside. I haven't had a problem since. Ever add up how many punches there are in a complete set of Round, Oval, Crew and Bag. 53 in total plus all the other special punches like Brace end etc. Gets very expensive, so they are worth looking after as I found out.

Please have a Happy Day.

Kindest Regards.

Jim.

Jim,

The dremel is a good idea! I always struggle with a set of little files...sometimes doing more damage than good. Great tip!

Bob