fjk

Cutting Board Suface

I am just wondering what you folks use for a cutting surface when you use your head knife. I have been laying my hide out on a sheet of plywood but as you can imagine this is not the best surface as the head knife point digs into the wood. What is a good reccomendation for a cutting surface? Any help will be appeciated. Thank you! Frank

I am just wondering what you folks use for a cutting surface when you use your head knife. I have been laying my hide out on a sheet of plywood but as you can imagine this is not the best surface as the head knife point digs into the wood. What is a good reccomendation for a cutting surface? Any help will be appeciated. Thank you! Frank

I have a 5'x3' work bench and I covered the whole thing with an 1/8" thick piece of cutting board material (same as your standard white cutting board) and it works great. If you have a TAP plastics store near you they can cut the piece to the exact size you want.

Andrew

I some times move my computer chair and use the floor protector under it , works great for larger pieces, the one without the dimples ,that's for solid floors.The knife doesn't cut into it.

HDPE high density polypropalene 1" or 3/4" would be my choice.

If you want a top quality professional cutting board (Hydroma) red-brown HY72 then bypass the retailers and go straight to a USA supplier where I ordered mine: Induscousa.com has them (cut to your size) in 1" or 2" thick. The price is $0.19 per square inch. Compared to TLF's catalog price it is a steal! I spoke with 'Tony' at 1-800-347-4472 - a really nice fellow & very helpful.

Hope this helps on your search. I found that the Wal-Mart white nylon board can be too soft and my round knife blade can dig in a little. When cutting corners and curves, the risk of bending the blade is likely.

Edited by GoldenKnight