McLovin

New Forum Member

Hello, Just signed up for this forum and from just a bit of looking around it is just what I have been looking for. I made my first leather project at about 12 years old. I know I did one because I got the Leatherworking merit badge in Boy Scouts. My next project was 35 years later, about a year ago. Like most things I have tried it started by seeing something I thought I would like to have but didn't have the money to buy. I figure I could do it because like Richard Hammond on the show "Top Gear" always says, "How hard can it be?" Now I'm hooked and keep finding more things I want to learn to do. Up to now I have studiously avoided carving and tooling leather. This last week I watched several hours of Youtube videos and took a beginner class at my favorite Tandy Leather store. My world just got a lot more expensive. Over the last year I have been making and selling journal covers, briefcases, satchel/messenger bags, shopping bags, and concealment holsters. My next large project is a shotgun case. I found one I want to copy which carries the shotgun with the barrel removed and held separately so the whole package is shorter and easier to carry in transit. This is what I wanted to learn to tool for. Once I figure out how to post pictures I will try to post up some of my past projects.

For the boring part, a bit about me. I'm a 48 year old man living in the desert southwest of the USA. My wife of almost 27 years and I thought we were rid of all three of our sons until one transferred colleges and moved in with us again. I am trained as an aircraft mechanic and work for an airline. I don't however work on the planes anymore. I work an awesome schedule, 7 days on and 7 days off, 12 hour days. I tell people I am semi retired as I only work 6 months a year. My other hobbies include woodworking, reading, and sleep. Someday I want to take up grandparenting but that hasn't worked out yet. My wife is a trained master gardener and wants to start selling at farmers markets. I told her if she has a stand selling fruits and veggies I wanted to sell some leather goods in her stall.

I have tried to post up my first two projects I made a year ago. I hope they come through.

post-44815-0-56957900-1378308558_thumb.j

post-44815-0-13840800-1378308587_thumb.j

Welcome and congrats! That's a really nice looking bag!!

Thanks for the welcome and the comment on the bag. It was the first project I tried. I was asked by a co-worker if I thought I could make something like that for his wife's anniversary gift. I told him I would give it a try. She is a teacher and lots of people comment on it.

Nice work! Welcome to the forum!!