immiketoo

Opinions Are Like...

I've been on leatherworker.net for a few short months and it already feels like home to me. So many of you have shared your knowledge and experience with me, and I have made what I consider to be friends all over the world. That being said, something recently happened in chat that I think bears mentioning. Several people whom I respect greatly were chatting about someone else whom I also respect greatly, and it was in what was an allegedly disparaging fashion. This concerns me on many levels.

Firstly, chat is a PUBLIC chat room, and anything you say can be seen by anyone who happens to pop in. In this incident, the person being spoken about DID pop in. And what they saw hurt their feelings significantly.

Why am I bringing this up? Because I am so disappointed by the fact that it happened here and that it involved people I believe in. This incident is contrary to everything our leatherworker.net community is about. Our subtitle is Education, Entertainment & Fellowship. This incident was certainly not education, and to me, fellowship means far more than bashing someone behind their back. That leaves entertainment, which I suppose it could be to the small minded or the petty, but let me say this. You are better than that. We ALL are, and I would ask all of you to please bear in mind that leather work crosses all socioeconomic boundaries. It does not care where you are from, what color you are or whether or not you are popular, introverted or middle of the road.

The passion strikes us each in our own way, regardless of our skill level or our position in life. This site should be a safe haven for anyone who chooses to join our group, and I have never heard a discouraging word spoken to me the entire time I have been here.

I am the first to admit that I may have said things that were offensive to someone in the room, and perhaps even offended some of those that I respect dearly. However, they were there, present in the conversation, and had the ability to correct me or choose not to. Chat can get crazy and since it is real time, comments fly more loosely. There is a sense of less permanency since your comments will scroll right out of the chat box in a little while. Lets keep chat fun, educational and entertaining by being considerate of our opinions and those who might be viewing them. If you truly have an issue with someone, remember what our mother's taught us as kids about something nice to say. Or have the courage to confront them directly. Or, take your conversation into a private room. There is the option of doing that in our chat window.

Those are my thoughts. I'm not mentioning any names, nor am I accusing anyone. I am merely suggesting that we conduct ourselves appropriately. If anyone has any comments or criticisms, I welcome them,

Merry Christmas everyone,

Mike

Very well said, Mike. I hope those involved take this to heart and re-evaluate their biting words and make apologies.

Thank you for understanding and expressing what LW is all about, Mike. I hope the people involved resolved things.

This , of course, is why Mike is the ambassador. WAY more diplomatic than I would have been - thanks, Mike!

I agree.....just think "Sultan of Chat" sounds better..........and we could make him a turban!!!

I love your thoughts on the subject Mike and "Sultan of Chat" is fine by me :thumbsup:

Mike I totally agree with you, I came into chat shortly after the incident you are speaking of & witnessed the distress of the person the involved, I,ve only been chatting for about a week or so & have been made sooo welcome, even with the teasing, which is all part of the fun to me, I have learnt loads & met folk I now consider friends & greatly respect their ideas & opinions, so please lets keep it how it should be friendly & fun so we can all enjoy each others company & share our knowledge however advanced or limited :)

I've probably hurt people unintentionally too and if I have, to those I did I truly apologize. I hope you will understand it wasn't intentional. However, a running conversation about one person's perceived shortcomings is intentional and hurtful. I just hope what Mikey has said will be taken to heart by all and keep chat fun and friendly like it's always been. Cheryl

Very well said Mike. I too love going into the chat room and chatting with everyone. I hope that the issue at hand can be resolved.

Well said Mike... your speaking up about this says a lot about your character and represents what all people should aspire to.

WELL DONE!!!

I express my opinion, now and then but have no intentions of creating an unpleasant experience for anyone.

With that said, I will not be offended by opinions as everyone is entitled to their own, whether or not they are as mine.

Can only make me a better person, understanding how others feel and look at the world.

I have been blessed with a long life and more to come, or at least I hope so, and being able to hear others speak of their experience, talents, crafts, and anything else, is like frosting on the cake.

God Bless.

Ray

Ray, nobody intends to create an unpleasant experience for people, but sometimes things are misunderstood, taken out of context or sometimes, deliberate. This community of leather people has been more supportive and friendly than my own family is at times and I hate when there is conflict among our members. Fortunately, this situation was diffused and we are all back in the saddle!

I hope to be able to have 40 years of experience one day and that our community will continue to grow.

I gotta agree with that Mike, the majority of the folk here are really friendly & supportive to the point where Id ratther ask people here stuff than I would people I know in the "real world".

Thats gotta say something!!!

Y'all are a great bunch of folks and this site is truly SUPERB.

I have in my shop, a small sign that I picked up and it is a popular item when folks visit and we chat about this and that and enjoy the company of oldtimers, as most of us are.

Simple thing but to the point: SMILING IS CONTAGIOUS. LET'S START AN EPIDEMIC.

Life, and friends provide many wonderful moments and we find it greatly enhanced by folks we meet here.

God has Blessed us all.

Happy days and come to Alabama and join the fun.

Ray

Edited by Helmut