Hello,

Where can I get chestnut leather dye? Or what can I mix to achieve that the color? Cannot find any info anywhere.

Thanks!

I've not seen a commercial chestnut dye, but have successfully matched some pieces of chestnut leather by mixing walnut with neatsfoot, and a touch of red, or mixing mahogany or burgandy?. It was a one shot deal, so I don't remember the exactness, or the mix, but some small experimentations, and tries on scrap might get you there.

If someone does know where, I would like to know too. Maybe Angelus dyes have a chestnut? They may call it a different name other than chestnut.

I get fairly close results by adding yellow to medium brown and then just a tiny fraction of black. It helps to thin the brown down a bit. Remember that oil will darken it up.

I'm going to try your mix, Go2Tex. The chestnut tannery dyed leathers I get have a red tinge to them. I'm curious to your mix...sounds like a good color.

Now you are asking us to share trade secrets! This formula is a match for Hermann Oak chestnut skirting. Mix 10 parts Fiebings Saddle Tan Pro Oil dye, 2 parts Angeles Light Brown Dye, and 1 part Fiebings Cherry Stain. It must be oiled to depth of color desired. A lot of trial and error went into developing this formula. It does tend to rub off, so it must be sealed well. When oiled, it is a good match for H O chestnut skirting also oiled.

Keith

I found a match to Herman Oaks Chestnut leather. It is Angelus "Brick" leather dye. It matches perfectly to the hide that I have. For chestnut leather that has already been oiled, Angelus "Bismark Brown" leather dye is a perfect match. A word of caution when ordering from Angelus is this: A quart of dye is $9.25 and they charge you a $25.00 hazard shipment fee for a quart and above to ship UPS. A pint is $8.25 with no hazard fee. The thing to ask Angelus when ordering is if they can ship 2 pints of dye for the cost of a quart of dye. Angelus did this for me. Just a money saving tip for you all.

and who did you order the Angelus Dye from ?

I ordered it from Angelus Shoe Polish Co. direct. 562.229.0521

I had to thin the Angelus brick dye today with a little denatured alcohol to match another piece of Herman Oak Chestnut. The mixing ratio was 1:1. So the colors do very from hide to hide as to be expected. I just want to add that this is really great dye to work with.