Randyc

My New Holster/Clicking Press

I'm in the process of setting up my new Weaver bottle jack press. I plan to use the press for both molding my holster/sheaths and clicking out holster parts. My 1" gum rubber pads arrived today. Now for the questions

1. If I'm going to mold only the face side of a holster, I assume I mount mount rubber pad on the top (moveable) plate and press against the non padded bottom plate. Am I correct?

2. What method is used to attach the rubber pads to the plates so they can be easily removed for clicking parts, or do I just set the pad on the bottom plate and hold the pad on the upper plate while I lower the ram onto the holster?

Thanks for your help!

Randy

I'm in the process of setting up my new Weaver bottle jack press. I plan to use the press for both molding my holster/sheaths and clicking out holster parts. My 1" gum rubber pads arrived today. Now for the questions

1. If I'm going to mold only the face side of a holster, I assume I mount mount rubber pad on the top (moveable) plate and press against the non padded bottom plate. Am I correct?

2. What method is used to attach the rubber pads to the plates so they can be easily removed for clicking parts, or do I just set the pad on the bottom plate and hold the pad on the upper plate while I lower the ram onto the holster?

Thanks for your help!

Randy

Randy,

I saw the bottle jack press in the weaver catalog. What a cool idea! How does it work? Is it big enough to click out pretty big parts? How big are the parts you are clicking out? How fast is it to click? I have some parts I would like to have clicker dies made for, were they expensive?

Thank you,

Steve

Steve,

I haven't used the press for clicking out parts yet. I purchased it mainly for the wet forming of my holsters. At a later time I will most likly use the press for clicking out parts. Size wise the press will suit me for my holster and knife sheath clicking needs and takes up minimal workbench space.

Randy

you need some clicker dies make let me know ,

you need some clicker dies make let me know ,

Rich,

Great. As ususal I have a couple of questions about clicker dies.

I have a couple of non leather items I would like to click out as well. They are:

1. A Copper Disc 1.75" in diameter, .020" Thick

2. An Aluminum "doughnut" inner hole 1.75". outer diameter 3.25" about 20 Ga thick

3. An Aluminum disc 2.625" in daimeter and .10" thick

1. Will the dies hold up to these items, even to make 100 Pcs, 250Pcs?

2. How much tunnage will I need to click these out?

3. What would the price be for these dies? Drawings of course can be sent.

I also want to click out a few harness/tack leather items as well. I want to make a clicker die for the Remington 1858 holster in one click, how much would these dies run? This is a large flap holster. How much pressure would be needed?

I will probably get a bottle jack clicker as well, I might get a bigger press from somewhere else and use the weaver plates.

Anyinsights would be appreciated.

What is your address" You can PM that to me.

Thankyou,

Steve

Randy, how is that press working for you? I have a few extra bucks and want to build my own about what yours looks like. Can you post a few photos or dimensions to give me a head start.

Jordan.

I will post some photos as soon as I get some time.

Randy

Randy, how is that press working for you? I have a few extra bucks and want to build my own about what yours looks like. Can you post a few photos or dimensions to give me a head start.

Jordan,

If you're looking at something similar to weaver's press, then look at www.northerntool.com. I got mine for under $100 and it is bigger than weaver's. They have serveral models / sizes and I have recently started using mine for clicking out spur straps and bridles. It works great!!

Hope this helps

Ryan

Randy we do need some pics! :popcorn:

I use the 1" rubber in a wood working vice that does a good job for 80% of the forming I need to have done. Clicker use would be something in the future I would like to do.

I've been working alot of OT at the PD lately. Darn criminals are getting in the way of my holster bulding. I will get the photos posted soon.

Where are you fellas getting your rubber pads?

Thanks for your help!

Randy

Randy,

Can that gum rubber pad you have be cut into as easily as the Tandy poundo mats? I'd like to find a good gum rubber pad that I can put on top of my 55 lbs. anvil for stamping out logos with an oval die and heavy hammer.

Ed

Randy,

Can that gum rubber pad you have be cut into as easily as the Tandy poundo mats? I'd like to find a good gum rubber pad that I can put on top of my 55 lbs. anvil for stamping out logos with an oval die and heavy hammer.

Ed

NOT Randy...but I would not think this would work very well as the rubber would not give a stable underpinning causing the stamp to bounce when you strike it with the mallet giving you multiple impressions.....just a thought anyway.

The rubber is soft and is utilized to form the leather around an object I think. About an inch or so thick from what I have read about using press for moulding rather than clicking. If clicking a steel plate and some type of cutting board material would be used. Jordan

The rubber is soft and is utilized to form the leather around an object I think. About an inch or so thick from what I have read about using press for moulding rather than clicking. If clicking a steel plate and some type of cutting board material would be used. Jordan

The poundo boards work very well, but they cut too easily.

ed