Sign in to follow this  
immiketoo

Greetings!

Hello all! Just caught the leather bug. I can't believe how addictive this craft is. It's only been a week and I have spent most of my free time and money working on a few projects. Here they are. Feel free to comment or critique.

Mike

post-34726-017718400 1347081591_thumb.jp

Nice job . Welcome to the site ! Look forward to seeing more of your work . Bill

Hello all! Just caught the leather bug. I can't believe how addictive this craft is. It's only been a week and I have spent most of my free time and money working on a few projects. Here they are. Feel free to comment or critique.

Mike

Nice job . Welcome to the site ! Look forward to seeing more of your work . Bill

Thanks Bill,

There is a steep learning curve, but each cut or stamp helps me learn, and I have already spent hours on the site soaking up information! Here is today's project. I was trying for an old and worn look, but I'm less than happy with the overall result. Mostly because of the tooling.

post-34726-055045200 1347083824_thumb.jp

Edited by immiketoo

No reason to be unhappy looks just fine to me . I once knew a wood craftsman who spent two years learning to sand before he thought of building something on his own . Day after day in that shop just sanding ,now he can write his own ticket name any price and get it . My guess is it would take a year or more to get anything off his bench these days . You are on your way so for now enjoy the work each piece is just a step on the ladder . Each piece will be better than the last one so have confidence and look down the road to piece number 10 . I enjoyed seeing this very much ,thanks for showing it to me . If you like the blues go to You Tube and type in the search bar : Keb Mo ,Better Man turn it up loud and enjoy ! Great words to live by ,helps me when I work . I need a dozen new bags all new ideas so I spent the day making patterns marking holes and thinking construction details in my head . Tough thing deciding you need a dozen new projects all in the 100.00 range .Make the patterns start cutting a bunch leather and believe from the first cut all will sell no doubt . I like wht you do and hope to see more .

Thanks Bill,

There is a steep learning curve, but each cut or stamp helps me learn, and I have already spent hours on the site soaking up information! Here is today's project. I was trying for an old and worn look, but I'm less than happy with the overall result. Mostly because of the tooling.

No reason to be unhappy looks just fine to me . I once knew a wood craftsman who spent two years learning to sand before he thought of building something on his own . Day after day in that shop just sanding ,now he can write his own ticket name any price and get it . My guess is it would take a year or more to get anything off his bench these days . You are on your way so for now enjoy the work each piece is just a step on the ladder . Each piece will be better than the last one so have confidence and look down the road to piece number 10 . I enjoyed seeing this very much ,thanks for showing it to me . If you like the blues go to You Tube and type in the search bar : Keb Mo ,Better Man turn it up loud and enjoy ! Great words to live by ,helps me when I work . I need a dozen new bags all new ideas so I spent the day making patterns marking holes and thinking construction details in my head . Tough thing deciding you need a dozen new projects all in the 100.00 range .Make the patterns start cutting a bunch leather and believe from the first cut all will sell no doubt . I like wht you do and hope to see more .

Thanks Bill. I am a huge Keb Mo fan! I play his stuff on my resonator all the time!

Hi Mike and Welcome! You'll love it here, as reading and visiting is also addictive.

That is one impressive first project and you should be proud. I wouldn't even post my third.

Give me a shout sometime.

Illinois worker

Kevin

Welcome to the forum.

Appears you made your holes with a drill or similar, too big.

Second effort. I would say you got in a hurry to do something and I'm sorry, you screwed up. Doesn't seem you had a definite design in mind

or someone interrupted your train of thought. You know this, don't know why I am telling you what you already know.

Just sit back, take a deep breath and study some carving by some of the folks on this forum. If you don't have any of the Al Stohlman books get some, they are encyclopedias of the leather craft.

Practice is the one thing that is required of this craft, and patience, lots of it, LOL

ferg

Mike

Welcome to the forum.

Appears you made your holes with a drill or similar, too big.

Second effort. I would say you got in a hurry to do something and I'm sorry, you screwed up. Doesn't seem you had a definite design in mind

or someone interrupted your train of thought. You know this, don't know why I am telling you what you already know.

Just sit back, take a deep breath and study some carving by some of the folks on this forum. If you don't have any of the Al Stohlman books get some, they are encyclopedias of the leather craft.

Practice is the one thing that is required of this craft, and patience, lots of it, LOL

ferg

Thanks for the input Ferg, but could you be a little more specific? What's screwed up? You are right about the drill for the holes. It's all I had, so if that's what you meant about being in a hurry, you're right.

Welcome aboard. I like the design on the first piece on the second piece it looks like you just started tooling and did not really have the layout in your head that you wanted. That is not a bad thing but it is cheaper to do it on paper until you get what you want and then start to carve. Use the holsters or put them up and then compare them to what you are doing six months to a year from now and you will be very surprised I think. Anyway welcome and good luck. David

Glad you enjoyed the music ,may I suggest on You Tube : Playing for change "Stand By Me " Good Vibrations" Tuba Skinny "Feel My Leg " Grandpa Elliot " Back door Man " and IZ "Ill be there for you " Imelda Mae <Proud and Humble That should keep your shop rockin for days . All the playing for change music is great they use all the money from the videos to make music schools for kids across the world,thats a good thing Bill .

Mike

Your design is okay if you do not want any pattern to it. You have fifteen directions going on with most not being finished.

Holes aren't necessarily what I meant by being in a hurry. Your carry through of the design indicates you didn't give a whole lot of thought to what you wanted/needed to accomplish. Simply comes with practice and paying close attention to what you do each successive time.

Don't get upset with me for critiquing your work a little harshly. My intentions are strictly to help you get better.

ferg

Thanks for the input Ferg, but could you be a little more specific? What's screwed up? You are right about the drill for the holes. It's all I had, so if that's what you meant about being in a hurry, you're right.

I made my earlier comments on your first,first piece. It was a good, maybe really good first piece. But like Ferg says the second was not up to what the standard is you want to achieve.

The shield was pretty O.K. Margins a little erratic. The border stamping started, stopped, ended, started again?

Basket stamps must have been an after thought to fill blank space, or not a previous thought? Shell stamps here and there with no pattern.

Try getting some hobby putty and make your pattern on it, first. You can just roll it up and try another if you don't like it. If you do..put it on leather.

Again great start and you have a future doing this stuff.

BTW, I like the holster pattern for that weapon. Good job with the pattern.

Kevin

Your design is okay if you do not want any pattern to it. You have fifteen directions going on with most not being finished.

Holes aren't necessarily what I meant by being in a hurry. Your carry through of the design indicates you didn't give a whole lot of thought to what you wanted/needed to accomplish. Simply comes with practice and paying close attention to what you do each successive time.

Don't get upset with me for critiquing your work a little harshly. My intentions are strictly to help you get better.

ferg

Hey Ferg,

I wasn't upset with you at all! I like a little "get to the point." I was just asking for something a bit more specific since "You screwed up" leaves a lot to consider. Did I screw up starting to work with leather? Getting out of bed? You get the idea :) I had an idea for the

design and found I didn't have the tool, so I decided to try basket weave. Clearly it didn't fit and I lost a lot of detail when I wet formed it. I was trying out a new tool and I had already made a few lines before I realized it was more difficult than I had anticipated. How do you lay out

your designs? Someone else suggested clay but I'm sure there are others. I am not sensitive, so don't worry.

Mike

I made my earlier comments on your first,first piece. It was a good, maybe really good first piece. But like Ferg says the second was not up to what the standard is you want to achieve.

The shield was pretty O.K. Margins a little erratic. The border stamping started, stopped, ended, started again?

Basket stamps must have been an after thought to fill blank space, or not a previous thought? Shell stamps here and there with no pattern.

Try getting some hobby putty and make your pattern on it, first. You can just roll it up and try another if you don't like it. If you do..put it on leather.

Again great start and you have a future doing this stuff.

BTW, I like the holster pattern for that weapon. Good job with the pattern.

Kevin

I see what you mean about the border. What do you do when the tool doesn't fit very well in the space left? I went around in one direction. Is there a better way? Over lap? I don't know.

Bob Parks aka Hidepounder has a real good reference for developing and drawing designs. Book. It's for western floral designs. It will be money well spent. I would do a quick read of it, then go back and study and take time to try out building a new design using his methodology.

CTG

Mike,

My plan of attack is based on what I have in my head. When I decide to design something I really get into it. My wife says,"next time will you please do something you can have fun with?" I usually make several designs on scrap even if the item isn't going to be carved. I am just finishing a purse for my wife. The design is very complicated for me. I have torn part of it out several times and started over. I don't sell much of what I do anymore, at almost eighty years young, I try to have as much fun as possible. :)Hands don't work as well as they once did but I have my mind and I see things in other folks work that need fixing.

You have a good beginning, don't stop asking questions and as I said before, PRACTICE!

ferg

1347150852[/url]' post='263667']

Hey Ferg,

I wasn't upset with you at all! I like a little "get to the point." I was just asking for something a bit more specific since "You screwed up" leaves a lot to consider. Did I screw up starting to work with leather? Getting out of bed? You get the idea :) I had an idea for the

design and found I didn't have the tool, so I decided to try basket weave. Clearly it didn't fit and I lost a lot of detail when I wet formed it. I was trying out a new tool and I had already made a few lines before I realized it was more difficult than I had anticipated. How do you lay out

your designs? Someone else suggested clay but I'm sure there are others. I am not sensitive, so don't worry.

Mike

I see what you mean about the border. What do you do when the tool doesn't fit very well in the space left? I went around in one direction. Is there a better way? Over lap? I don't know.

Mike:

It's kinda like a person who cannot stand a quite place and has to speak up. You did good in a lot a places, and then felt you had to FILL IN the blanks. Blank spaces are OK. It's like being quiet. A pattern flows around the focal point. In your case the shield, which was quite good, BTW.

Stop when you are ahead.

Just keep working on it, and keep it simple, like your first piece, which had a nice main theme.

You'll get it. Keep trying.

Kevin