EmbossingDieCompany

Leather Business Cards

I truly believe that every leatherworker should hand out leather business cards instead of paper ones.

OK, yes it is self promotion. :)

But I wouldn't have developed the product if I didn't believe that it was a great marketing idea......and I posted it here instead of the Marketplace Section again because I thought it was a great marketing idea.

I make the dies 4" x 1.5" so that they can be used with Tandy Leather Factory's Practice Pieces that are 100 pieces for $35.

If you would like to see more pictures, you can view the listing here:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/118942920/leather-business-card-embossing-die

Thanks for looking and let me know what you think of this idea.

post-16724-0-24564200-1356722580_thumb.j

Not a bad idea at all, I was thinking along these lines myself. With me they would only be given out with a purchased piece or to select individuals... when doing any kind of show they would not be cost effective. When my wife and I do shows people grab the business cards provided at an astonomical rate! We go through anywhere from 500-800 business cards and tri-folds during a 3 day show... you can imagine how that adds up, then you factor in that you may only hear back from 3-5% of those people! :head_hurts_kr:

Matt,

Oh, yes, I totally agree with you....a business show is definitely not the place to hand them out. But for the select individuals that you do give them to.....they will REALLY be impressed.......atleast that's what people tell me when I hand them out. And at $0.35 each, they don't have to be soooo select.

Even though I make specialized custom stamps and have made a few lasered business card style Delrin stamps like the ones being advertised here, I don't recomend them to my customers unless they insist.

I find that most potential customers for custom leather goods decide to buy because of your craftsmanship and pricing rather than a tacky looking Delrin stamped piece of raw vegtan as your business card. It's your quality of work, finish and price and don't forget reputation that sell. The cost's involved in this hobby are high enough and the profit margins slim enough to utilize your hard earned money in other ways. I Do agree that your work is your advertisement and is a statement of your quality of craftsmanship. A maker's stamp on your products shows that you are proud of your work IMHO..

That being said... I am fortunate and honored to have other members here recomend my laser business in this forum. I truely appreciate you all. I hope to have a paid banner soon.

Joyce

Hey Joyce......how about showing some love instead of ripping apart a good idea by one of your competitors?

Of course, a leatherworker's best form of advertisement is an example of their work showing their quality of craftmanship and pricing......however, most leatherworkers don't carry around a box full of their finished pieces to the grocery store or a Christmas party for potential buyers to peruse......that's why business cards were invented.

And although you may think they are "tacky" (and you are certainly entitled to your opinion) and expensive.....I beg to differ. The whole point of creating the die is so that people can make their own business cards cost effectively (I think $0.35 each or less is pretty reasonable). And when you hand out leather business cards at a networking event, I can personally attest that people are impressed. At the end of the event when people are shuffling all those paper business cards together that they collected......they can't really tell the difference between the 4 insurance agents, 3 bankers, and 16 website companies......but everyone will know exactly which card belongs to that leatherworker.

This section is for marketing ideas.....and that is exactly what this is......an idea. And obviously not everyone will think it's a good one and someone will always find a reason to criticize it.

But then again, I asked for people's opinions, so thank you for offering yours.

Joyce, I wonder how many of the members here will be recommending your business now that you've totally trashed another member's product. Remember, attitude trumps everything and you've just trumped your own business. Too bad too.

I like them!

Can they be used in a rolling press like a Sizzix?

Not a bad idea to hand out to those special customers. Everybody likes the feel and smell of leather!

I think they're a good idea. I've made a few from offcuts and they do have more staying-power than a standard card, business card. A split ring or a short piece of ball chain also increase their longevity and usefulness. Some that I have given away are still around years later as key rings or just hanging up from a hook in a hallway. Peope think twice before they throw them away while paper cards are treated with less respect. Gary

Sorry,

Not trashing the guy's business. I hope he does well and I mean that. He has great products and good ideas. I feel that competition inspires quality, service and good pricing. I just am sharing my personal opinion and experience on leather business cards.

I am confused though.. I understood that the market place is thread for self promotion of services and products. I have used it in the past myself.

Joyce~

Having just received some makers stamps for Christmas, and also having possession of a pile of leather scrap too small do do anything else with... this is a brilliant idea. I usually attach a cardboard business card to all of my creations before they are sent out, but this might make more of an impression, pun intended.

You know, I'm pretty guilty of not posting very much here, I'd rather observe and keep my mouth shut than offend any of the "artisans" around here... That being said, grab a tissue, here comes an opinion: I would never hand one of my clients a piece of leather (business card shaped or not) that didn't represent exactly what I produce.

A dairy farmer wouldn't give you a shot of sour milk to try to sell you farm fresh milk and a gourmet chocolatier wouldn't give you a Hershey bar with his business information printed on the wrapper.

Why would you want to give a client a piece of leather that doesn't represent your product? I couldn't take myself seriously if I told a guy that his custom seat was going to be $800 and then handed him a hunk of cheap Tandy leather with some Microsoft Word embossing on it.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate how much lasers cost. I'm also pretty familiar with materials and their price points. That being said, there's no way that I would spend $65.00 to make this kind of impression on a client. Business cards are cheap - I'd rather make a neutral impression with a traditional business card than have someone question my craftsmanship based on a gimmick.

The OP is right, I don't carry around a box of seats and saddlebags to self-promote in the grocery store, but I sure as hell don't carry around a box of Tandy scraps with my name stamped in them either - that doesn't exactly scream "quality."

(I'm off my box - carry on smartly.)

Dear Embossing Die Co.,

Sometimes it's how we promote that rubs people (competitors and potential customers) the wrong way. I believe that business it's all about building rapport and earning trust. So I do get what Joyce is implying about all of the free blatant self-promotion some of the posters seem to get away with all over this forum for non leather items. I enjoy this forum and all of the wonderful people and talent here and like me, she is probably getting tired of Spam advertising too. I thought "Tacky" was being generous by the way.

Think of your initial post from any of your competitor's view point. They read your pitch and then you admit that yes it is self promotion. You are knowingly flaunting your item and business here to gain market share over them. Who wouldn't have felt cheated.

My words are not to damn you... But to shed the view point of an outsider.

I personally find that my customers see the attention to detail in the items that I make for them. So my customers are my best business cards. So when people say "hey, where did you get that belt?" My customer can easily look to the tip of their belt and easily read off my name and phone #, thanks to the cool stamps that I have received from Joyce. I personally could not say enough about Joyce and her business-she is wonderful!

As for leather vs paper - no offense, I prefer paper as I can put 5-10 in my wallet.

Edited by Potroast

I'm surprised this topic has turned snippy so fast. I have often thought a leather business card would be a great way to differentiate myself from the sea of other paper crap in the world.

I agree that a plain stamped piece of leather might not be appealing to you guys, but I would have thought that of anyone, leather workers would muster up a little creativity. As I read this thread, I came up with several ideas on how to make the leather card distinctive and not look cheap.

Additionally, I can't imagine just handing any kind of business card to someone cold without taking the time to develop a relationship with them first. Take the time to engage the customer, talk about your stuff, show them the product slap the card in their hand. Of course, there is the debate that business cards are a polite way for a customer to say "no" and walk away from you.

Anyway, it's just another way to reach out to a new customer. You don't have to use it if you don't like it.

I must admit, sniping at each other doesn't engender much in the way of desire to use either service.

I do like the idea though and will keep it in mind once I get big enough to need something like this. My preference would be something I can do with a standard makers mark as a small keyfob, supplied with items sold, rather than a full business card but I'll leave the decision until I've got a name worth the outlay :).

I do like the idea of a makers mark type business card/ tag to use to promote my business. But if and when I do decide to get one it will be of my own volition and design. And I agree that the forum is for everyone and "constructive" criticism is usually welcome and even encouraged. But it should be constructive and not attacking or demeaning in nature. It is of my opinion that Joyce is not attacking or demeaning in any way, rather she was stating her opinion about the making of a stamp in HER shop and that she prefers not to make them "unless they insist".

We are all here to learn and grow and it is a blessing for all the help that others and myself have reaped from this forum. I thank all of you for the fellowship and friendship that I have had brought upon me in the time on here, and I will continue to share any knowledge I have and hope to learn even more as time goes on. Thanks for this forum.........and God bless you all!!

ok....off MY soapbox

I been reading this one with interest for a few days. Personally, I don't think I would ever spend shop time making leather business cards. I'm in there 40-60 hours a week so If I don't have any orders to work on, I'm going fishing not dampening, pressing, drying, dying, and finishing leather business cards, but that's just me.

Chief

Immiketoo.....yes, I'm surprised too.......I thought it was just a marketing idea.......yet others have turned it into "spam to gain market share"

Dear Potroast.....I've read your other posts with your testimonials for Joyce and you are obviously one of her very satisfied customers. Had you thought this was a great idea, do I really think that you would buy from me rather than you simply contacting Joyce who could clearly make it? And there are 3 or 4 other stamp makers on here that also have happy satisfied customers too. I'm sure that if one of their customers saw this idea, they also would go back to someone they know and trust, rather than come to me. My idea is not copyrighted....any of those other stamp makers could just as easily make them.

Wayoutwatty.......thanks for your opinion on the idea. You taught me a valuable lesson: that I should not market these to the few hundred artisians that make $800 seats who consider Tandy as the evil empire. Rather, I should focus on the hundreds of thousands of Tandy customers that buy $70 million of leather from Tandy every year.

I also think that some of you can't see the forest for the trees.....you are focusing on using "Tandy scraps" that don't scream quality as a piece of raw vegtan business card. Yet others see that you can use offcuts (that may be cheaper and better quality than the Tandy pieces) and decorate them to make them distinctive and not cheap so they represent the quality of craftmanship that you want to display to potential customers.......that way you won't have to leave them with a neutral impression so that your paper card gets lost in the obscurity of the other dozen paper cards that they put in their pocket.

Although the sample uses the standard "Ariel" font from Microsoft (another evil empire), there are literally thousands of different fonts that can be used (you won't be limited to the four fonts that Tandy offers on their stamps) and you can easily add your logo, or a graphic or swirls or other decorative elements. The point being....you can design and decorate your card in any way that you see fit to reflect your business or personality. But Chief is right too.....I'm sure most leatherworkers that spend 40-60 hours a week filling orders don't want to spend dozens of hours making and decorating leather business cards.....which is why I was trying to show that with using a stamp on inexpensive pre-made pieces simply sprayed with a little SaddleLac, you could crank out 50 or 100 in less than an hour.

And yes it is a gimmick. But gimmicks work. There are millions of sales people and small business owners that look for and use gimmicks every day just so they can give themselves any possible slight edge over their competition. Would you rather have your paper business card buried with hundreds of others in someone's Rolodex ("Hmmmm.....did I file that leatherworker's card under the word leather? or seat? cool stuff? or his name.....what was his name? I can't remember...") or because it doesn't fit in a standard Rolodex it is likely sitting prominently on the person's desk, or counter or computer.......because as Benlilly1 said......everybody loves the smell and feel of real leather......and the cards are too nice to just throw in the garbage like they do with all the other paper cards they collect.

So like I said in my original post......I could have posted this in the "free" Marketplace section........but I didn't because I truly believed that this was more appropriate in the Marketing Section. I was not trying to be sly about it either....I admitted right up front that it involved a little self promotion, but I did that so that any of the Mods could easily move the thread to the Marketplace Section or simply remove the link to my shop so that I wouldn't get an unfair advantage to "gain market share over my competitors who might feel cheated".

Edited by EmbossingDieCompany

I like the idea.

Needless to say, I like the idea too. I guess I'm a bit biased because I've had a few stamps made by him. I've been very satisfied with the service and workmanship, as have my customers that benefitted from it.

I guess my initial "jump" was more out of shock that Joyce would slam (I still believe she did) another business person. I mean, we have an awful lot of leatherworkers here and that kind of snarky stuff is extremely rare.

Enough from me.

I see this as a marketing idea, not spam. Actually more of a packaging idea for me.

I would likely use them by attaching a ball chain and including it with a purchase so the client would have ready and easy access for future purchases. With my copper jewelry, I actually attach earrings to a business card as a hang tag and include care instructions in the packaging. I package jewelry in handmade origami boxes to set them apart from ugly store bought boxes. I can see the leather card as being a useful and artful way to do a detachable tag. On the ball chain, I would also include leather care instructions on card stock. People like things that are different and I feel it would add a nice professional and artistic touch to my product. I know from experimentation with embossing that I am not limited to veg tan, so I could coordinate with whatever product I make.

Call me strange, but I don't see the point in being catty. If I don't like an idea, I just won't do it. But why demerit a product, concept or idea that others may find useful simply because you don't like it? Or because you're a competitor? I prefer to give my business to nice and if possible local businesses.

Edited by Tgrlily

Wow "EmbossingDieCompany" you're awfully condescending for someone that asked for opinions. I have idea where the rambling "Evil Empire" stuff came from, but it makes you look pretty unprofessional. I never said anything about hating tandy, but it doesn't take much to realize that their leather isn' the greatest in the world.

Since your selling these - but not really selling these - (wink wink) here, I'm sure your intent wasn't to appear rude. That's the problem with not being honest. You said you wanted opinions when you meant to say "buy my product."

That's why your feelings got hurt.

By the way, I'm still curious, why are these so over-priced? $1.50 in material (at RETAIL) and 5 minutes worth of labor justifies $65? Yikes! And what about the surcharge for non-vector artwork? That's pretty sneaky - the average leatherworker probably doesn't even know what that means.

Finally:

Arial = Font

Ariel = Little Mermaid.

Good luck selling your product!

Edited by WayOutWatty

Hey EDC, you're the same guy that offered FREE made in USA stamps to everyone here, minus the shipping. I don't recall everyone getting all bent out of shape on that bit of shameless self promotion. I don't see why this is any different, except that maybe you called it self promotion. Listen folks, anything that helps bring our craft to the fore and makes people aware that there is an alternative to disposable plastic junk is a win in my book. And, like the Wal mart's of the world, you can choose to shop with EDC or not.

WayOut Watty, why are you so upset about this? Lets keep the personal attacks to a minimum here. I'm sure you have made a spelling mistake or two in the world. And I LIKE Little mermaid:)

Edited by immiketoo

I like the idea - in fact, I've used them for years. Here's a leather business card I made from a delrin stamp I had made for me by Grey Ghost Graphics years ago. For this design, I added some tooling around the border. Each one is a couple minutes of work, so obviously I can't use them everywhere, but a typical reaction I get when I hand one out is, "Wow, now THAT is a business card." Don't know if I want to keep doing the added stamping or not, even though it is a nice touch, but I do plan to continue using them. (This one's out of date, by the way. I changed my domain name, so don't try to email me there.)

post-14053-0-94366300-1356903737_thumb.j