JustWakinUp

finished flip flop sandals

It's been quite a week of learning for me. I'd like to thank everyone that has helped me along the way. I had some staining problems here and there. I have one more pair to do for my 3yr old and will apply the new staining techniques to those.

These have copper rivets, the dye was mahogany extremely diluted, antiqued with british tan and finished with leather balm w/ atom wax. I used craftool foot stamps(471R,471L) as well as craftool butterfly stamp (z788) and are on 1/4inch crepe rubber.

For now here are the flip flops I made for my 4 year old.

FlipFlops1.jpgFlipFlops2.jpg

FlipFlops.jpgFlipFlopDetail.jpg

FlipFlopDetail2.jpg :whatdoyouthink:

*any critiques welcomed.

post-2546-1189653529_thumb.jpg

post-2546-1189653556_thumb.jpg

post-2546-1189653765_thumb.jpg

post-2546-1189653779_thumb.jpg

post-2546-1189654017_thumb.jpg

Edited by JustWakinUp

I only have one question. Are the butterflies supposed to all be facing the toes? I see on one strap they face the heel.

Other than that, nice job!

Very cool.... I was thinking of making a pair for my wife but was thinking of using the single thickness and cutting the heal to make the straps... I like yours... does the rivet in the toe bother you any?

Very cool.... I was thinking of making a pair for my wife but was thinking of using the single thickness and cutting the heal to make the straps... I like yours... does the rivet in the toe bother you any?

Not sure about the rivet bothering the toes, my wife has the same concerns. This pair is for a 4 yr old so i'll have to get back to you once the R&D team gives them a good try out.

pretty cool!

i haven't thought about making something like that before!

looks like the sole is closed cell foam?

pretty cool!

i haven't thought about making something like that before!

looks like the sole is closed cell foam?

Beez, the sole is is 1/4" crepe rubber that I bought from the shoe repair shop.

thanks! i looked it up.

i wonder about making a set for my ol using pre made soles so that they have i nice contour.

she is really not supposed to wear flat anything due to heal spurs and back problems

I'm planning on making myself a pair with Vibram Lug Soles. You could always use those contoured soles I'm sure it would work and be more comfy for her.

I love the flip-flops. I've been looking for new things to make. I'd like to do these flip-flops , and moccasins.

What kind of rivets did you use?

Ed

I love the flip-flops. I've been looking for new things to make. I'd like to do these flip-flops , and moccasins.

What kind of rivets did you use?

Edl

I bought my rivets from zack white here is the Link

oh and just a heads up, be sure you make the tong/thong portion long enough, i think my kids foot is going to be a tight fit. I used 5 rivets per flop and everyone seems to love the copper rivet look. Im finishing my younger daughters tonite with some different staining technique and will post those by this weekend. They will have nickel rivets.

How do you set those copper rivets? I've been looking for sturdier rivets for my leatherwork. I might like to try using hand stitching on the flipflops instead of rivets (I'd use my machine to make the holes).

What kind of glue did you use for the soles?

Thanks for the pointers.

Ed

I bought my rivets from zack white here is the Link

oh and just a heads up, be sure you make the tong/thong portion long enough, i think my kids foot is going to be a tight fit. I used 5 rivets per flop and everyone seems to love the copper rivet look. Im finishing my younger daughters tonite with some different staining technique and will post those by this weekend. They will have nickel rivets.

I really like the shoes, too. My girls would not only love wearing them, they would enjoy making them, and you gave me a few ideas! I don't know if I would sew them or rivet them, but if I sewed them, I would go through the sole bend with a Dremel tool. Zip, zip done.

One thing I would do is to dampen the edges and have the girls buff hard with a piece of scrap, then some sailcloth or denim, and then probably rub one of the edge dressings in and buff some more with sheepswool. If you apply enough heat (friction) you can almost "melt" the two layers together. Smoothing the edges of projects is just a nice finishing touch.

Thanks for the good ideas, JWU!

Johanna

I usually do the first buff with plain water, until I get a feel for how the leather is going to accept the rubbing. If it squishes down the way I want it to, then I usually finish with Leather Balm with Atom Wax by Fiebings. I use gum tragacanth on the occasional stubborn hide that needs the Elmers Glue quality gum trag has to make the fibers compress. On really rough edges you can use a fine sandpaper to prep it for the water buff. I know I'm not explaining this well, someone else want to chime in here? After awhile you just get a feel for which can to reach for next, depending on how the hide acts. Since each hide is unique, there is no "right" answer.

Johanna

How do you set those copper rivets? I've been looking for sturdier rivets for my leatherwork. I might like to try using hand stitching on the flipflops instead of rivets (I'd use my machine to make the holes).

What kind of glue did you use for the soles?

Thanks for the pointers.

Ed

Ed, You can set the copper rivets a couple of ways. They sell a rivet set that you put over the shaft and smack with a hammer, but you don't need it to set the rivets. Instead, you can use the ball side of a ball pien hammer and with a series of firm taps work the shaft of the rivet into a nice domed head. The rivet set is probably faster, but to me it's one more thing to misplace/lose, and I'm used to setting rivets with a hammer.

and with the copper rivets, don't forget the burrs. I don't know why it is, but whenever I start running short, it's always the burrs that run out first....

Thanks, Peter. Would you say that such rivets make an incredibly strong hold? Stronger than say Jiffy rivets and steel tubular rivets either peened or capped?

Are solid brass rivets also installed the same way?

Ed

Ed, You can set the copper rivets a couple of ways. They sell a rivet set that you put over the shaft and smack with a hammer, but you don't need it to set the rivets. Instead, you can use the ball side of a ball pien hammer and with a series of firm taps work the shaft of the rivet into a nice domed head. The rivet set is probably faster, but to me it's one more thing to misplace/lose, and I'm used to setting rivets with a hammer.

and with the copper rivets, don't forget the burrs. I don't know why it is, but whenever I start running short, it's always the burrs that run out first....

I have been thinking about making some shoes like these, I like them. But, the copper rivits will turn your toes green.

A coat of clear nail polish (or Neat Lac in a pinch) will take care ofthe green-toe problem.

Johanna

You could tin the heads with a little solder (use the non lead kind).

Art

I have been thinking about making some shoes like these, I like them. But, the copper rivits will turn your toes green.

I know this is an older post, but it's new to me. I REALLY like the flip flops! I'm going to have to try to make a pair now. I never would of thought of it. Great idea! How are they holding up?

I know this is an older post, but it's new to me. I REALLY like the flip flops! I'm going to have to try to make a pair now. I never would of thought of it. Great idea! How are they holding up?

Thanks for your willingness to make a comment. Don't know that I would have mined it out of the archives and you drew it to my attention and as a result helped solve a repair problem I was facing.

Any thing ever come of the rivet placement between the toes? Think I'll go for stitching instead.