wally247

First Post And First Holster

Been lurking for about a week figuring out what I need and figuring out how to make what I wanted. So I got some basic tools and got to work and this is what I came up with.

IMG_2875_zpse9648c80.jpg

I think ya done good Wally. One thing I know others will recommend is to accommodate more for the grip, so you don't have to shift your hand after drawing. Keep it up!

+1 on the grip. Looks good for a start. Id learn to saddle stitch and not use the speedy stitcher. It just doesnt give as nice of a stitch line. What it the purpose of the rivet?

You are on the way to making some really nice holsters. Keep it up.

Michael

Thanks guys!

+1 on the grip. Looks good for a start. Id learn to saddle stitch and not use the speedy stitcher. It just doesnt give as nice of a stitch line. What it the purpose of the rivet?

You are on the way to making some really nice holsters. Keep it up.

Michael

I'll look into different ways of stitching, This is the first leather piece since my preteen years at camp (about 15 years ago) but I'm enjoying it.

The rivet serves no real purpose, just playing around.

Looks very clean, especially for a first timer. I actually like the rivet. It adds a little accent. I'd also say that although the a saddle stitch would certainly look good on this piece, so does the speedy stitch. It gives a simple utility look that I rather like.

try to let the leather dry ut a bit more before molding it...that is one of the things i see most often, and a mistake i made as well when i first started...i dip my holsters for about 5-7 seconds, then let it dry for about 5-10 minutes before i try to mold it...when its dripping wet, it wrinkles up pretty bad and any tool mark will really stand out...ditto on what the other guys said, stitching, and grip space...the only other thing i see is edging...that is an art form in and of itself...check out hidepounders sticky on edging...there is a insane amount of info there...welcome to the forum and keep at it...you'll soon find yourself in a sea of leather bits and tools wondering what life would be like if you werent a leather addict..