has anyone purchased drum dyed leather? i just received my first drum dyed black side. it is taking forever to rub the excess dye out. i have oiled it and it is still coming off, alot. any suggestions? thanks
Tony

I only use the drum dyed leather unless people ask for a specific color job. The black tends to rub off a lot more than the other colors. Once I get my finish coat on there then it's fine. I can even wet mold after the finish coat and have no run off. Once you hit that part of the process you should be fine. I tend to oil drum dyed leather a day or so before the finish coat and that helps out.

Frank

I only use the drum dyed leather unless people ask for a specific color job. The black tends to rub off a lot more than the other colors. Once I get my finish coat on there then it's fine. I can even wet mold after the finish coat and have no run off. Once you hit that part of the process you should be fine. I tend to oil drum dyed leather a day or so before the finish coat and that helps out.

Frank

thanks Frank, i wanted to get it in brown but was worried. i'm making my first holster with it now. will see how it comes out.

I use Hermann Oak drum dyed black strap sides. Have not had the first problem with rub off. The piece of sheepskin I use to burnish holsters after wet forming has done over 200 holsters and barely has a tinge of black.

Where are some good places to get 5/6 ounce drum dyed all the way through BLACK leather that you can easily cut, punch, and stamp?

And what is the leather called that you can easily cut, punch, and stamp? When looking for black leather, I see several different kinds. I've bought black leather before, but whatever kind I got. It was very hard to cut as it took a couple of tried to cut. And it was very hard to punch.