Sign in to follow this  
TZHunter

Briefcase Divider Material ?

What do ya'll use as the "stiffener" on dividers sewn into the gusset on briefcases? Where do you get it? Of course, I want something that will be durable, strong, and last as long (hopefully) as the leather.

Thanks Much !

What do ya'll use as the "stiffener" on dividers sewn into the gusset on briefcases? Where do you get it? Of course, I want something that will be durable, strong, and last as long (hopefully) as the leather.

Thanks Much !

Why not just use leather? Maybe not 8oz. leather, but something a bit lighter, such as 4-5 oz.?

What Hilly said. I just use the same leather that I made the front/back with, which for me is 4/5 oz if you want the divider stiffer just use 2 pieces of 4/5 If you don't want to sew thru 4 pieces of 4/5oz (2 gussets and 2 pieces for divider) make 1 of the divider pieces 1/2" smaller on each side and bottom that way only 1 piece of 4/5 oz divider is attached to the gusset.

Thanks. I was just trying to reproduce the same type of divider that was in a sample briefcase that a person brought in to duplicate. I'd prefer the entire thing to be of leather, but the person preferred the straighter/smoother/stiffer divider that was used on this older briefcase, so was trying to find something comparable.

Thanks. I was just trying to reproduce the same type of divider that was in a sample briefcase that a person brought in to duplicate. I'd prefer the entire thing to be of leather, but the person preferred the straighter/smoother/stiffer divider that was used on this older briefcase, so was trying to find something comparable.

I'm not sure what was used on the previous briefcase but what about Kydex from springfield Leather It's a hard plastic that can be molded with High temp http://springfieldleather.com/product/24597/Kydex-100%2CCalcutta%2C.06%2C3-1-2x7/

I didn't know about that. Looks cool the way its molded over pistols. The 2' x 4' piece is $32, which is about the same cost as leather. What is in this sample I have is not very fancy, but owner says its lasted 20+ years. . . looks like a stiff cloth but has a coating of something almost like vinyl on it. Thanks for your help.

I didn't know about that. Looks cool the way its molded over pistols. The 2' x 4' piece is $32, which is about the same cost as leather. What is in this sample I have is not very fancy, but owner says its lasted 20+ years. . . looks like a stiff cloth but has a coating of something almost like vinyl on it. Thanks for your help.

Tandy and most fabric stores sell "bag stiffener" material that works pretty well. It's a fiberous material that generally has some level of hard wax or resin impregnated into it to make it stiff. They make some that can be ironed, is washable, etc. wrap some of that with lining leather and it should give the same effect while keeping real leather throughout.

Spinner, Thanks. I knew there must be a place to get this. What you have described sounds almost exactly what was in this case I'm duplicating. I will surely try one of these places. Appreciate your help.

I have spent the last half hour trying to think of the name of the cotton material I buy at JoAnn Fabrics stores. It comes in several densities, it is white. I don't use the one that has to be Ironed on/fused. I glue right to the leather or fabric. I have a total brain freeze on the name but I am sure a clerk in a store will know what you are wanting.

ferg

Spinner, Thanks. I knew there must be a place to get this. What you have described sounds almost exactly what was in this case I'm duplicating. I will surely try one of these places. Appreciate your help.

Ferg, Thanks Much ! I have a JoAnns about 30 min away and will check them out. Appreciate your help and pointing me in the right direction.

At Tandy it's called Bag Stiffener and is very stiff/dense. At Joann's it's called "interfacing" and you'll want to look for Heavy or Extra heavy weight to make the divider stiff.

If the interfacing isn't stiff enough, a piece of file folder glued between two pieces of interfacing should do the trick. the file folder/cardboard makes the glue easier to apply and gives the fibers more to grab with helps keep them from separating. (tips from my quilter M-I-L)

Spinner, Thanks ! Ya'll are great. I really appreciate your help. This web site is great, BUT it's only great because those who use it are great folks...Thanks again.

Spinner, Thanks ! Ya'll are great. I really appreciate your help. This web site is great, BUT it's only great because those who use it are great folks...Thanks again.

Its called Bontex and Springfield sells it.