SWFLholsters

Cobra Class 14 Splitter: Day One Video, Plus Photos

It's here and it's a beauty. This is my first splitter and I am learning as I go, I'll try to answer questions as best I can. Happy Holidays to all, and a big High-Five to David and Steve at Leather Machine Co.

P1120391.png

I have delivery and setup photos along with a video posted to our website. Please try to ignor my obsessive tendency in the video. ;-)

http://www.swflholst...d-setup-photos/

Thank you for taking the time to make the movie !!! Nice shop to.

Yes thank you for the video. I saw the splitter in action in at the saddle makers round up in October. Its on my short list.

Thanks guys! I'm glad you liked it, I actually enjoy making the video's. Each time I do one I learn new things to speed up the process.

A little update... For fun I tried splitting a few small pieces by hand with the hand wheel and I would most definitely advise getting the servo powered setup. The pieces I experimented with were small and it took quite a bit of muscle power. I surely would not want to split a run of holster pieces by hand. Maybe the unpowered machine comes with a handle instead of a hand wheel, even if they do I think the servo setup is money well spent. Of course I would say that. :)

Very nice machine and setup, I wish I could afford one. What is the weight of this splitter head, I guess the the shipping will be a killer alone. (I am based in Norway) Should you not be splitting only two ounces a split, not to compress the roller springs to much?. I see in the video you split more than that and it preforms well even so. I think you it will work even better if you split of only two ounces at the time.

Thank you for the info, I still haven't decided whether I'm going to upgrade my Weaver yet so it's nice to know someone here has the Cobra and is putting it though it's paces.

Cheers,

Clair

Very nice machine and setup, I wish I could afford one. What is the weight of this splitter head, I guess the the shipping will be a killer alone. (I am based in Norway) Should you not be splitting only two ounces a split, not to compress the roller springs to much?. I see in the video you split more than that and it preforms well even so. I think you it will work even better if you split of only two ounces at the time.

The net weight printed on the box for the head is 48.5kg (107lbs) and the total weight on the shipping invoice was 136kg (300lbs).

You may be right about taking smaller 2oz splits, I'm new at this and need some schooling. :spoton:

After the holiday's I plan on calling David and Steve for some splitting pointers.

The net weight printed on the box for the head is 48.5kg (107lbs) and the total weight on the shipping invoice was 136kg (300lbs).

You may be right about taking smaller 2oz splits, I'm new at this and need some schooling. :spoton:

After the holiday's I plan on calling David and Steve for some splitting pointers.

Thank you for that information and the nice video. If you look at this video from Weaver they explain why you need to split a Little at the time.

Thanks and Happy New Year.

Edited by Trox

Trox - thanks for posting that video. I've never seen that before. I only have a little hand (not crank) splitter and this video helps explain why mine doesn't work very well. Turns out my blade is dull, crooked, not properly aligned, and my roller bar flexes too much...

Hello you guys & hippy new year ! The problem I see with fixed blade splitting machines is how or who is gonna sharpen the blade in a correct way ? ? ? If the blades were hollow ground you would have a better chance to sharpen them . Those machines date from a period in history when there were pro knife sharpeners . I got a blanchard fixed blade splitting machine & I think I spent more time sharpening the blade than splitting ! I actually have 2 splitting machines in my work place & they don't ever give the same result from one kind of leather to another Find right away some one who can sharpen your blades & maybe order a reserve blade & always keep one in reserve

Hi Friend,

Do you have a Blanchard splitting machine? Any change for a picture of that machine? I did not even knew it existed any Blanchard splitters, I guess it must be a old and rare machine.

Thanks

Tor

Hello you guys & hippy new year ! The problem I see with fixed blade splitting machines is how or who is gonna sharpen the blade in a correct way ? ? ? If the blades were hollow ground you would have a better chance to sharpen them . Those machines date from a period in history when there were pro knife sharpeners . I got a blanchard fixed blade splitting machine & I think I spent more time sharpening the blade than splitting ! I actually have 2 splitting machines in my work place & they don't ever give the same result from one kind of leather to another Find right away some one who can sharpen your blades & maybe order a reserve blade & always keep one in reserve

Anybody who knows what happens to this editor, it is sometimes totally non responsive. I cannot move the cursor back and do editing, it locks up and I have to wait for it start move again. I guess I have to report it to Johanna

Tip: most machinists can true and sharpen this kind of blade, if they will.

Thank you for that information and the nice video. If you look at this video from Weaver they explain why you need to split a Little at the time.

Thanks and Happy New Year.

Thank you for the video Trox, I've had my Weaver splitter for a couple of years now and had never seen that video before explains things a lot better than the lacking manual (piece of paper) they give you.

Cheers,

Clair

Does anyone know if the weaver blade is the same as a Landis 30 blade and if you can use that plastic guage with the Landis. I have an old landis 30 and I just sharpened the blade, it works much better but I have no idea if the blade is adjusted correctly. I'd also like to get a spare blade to have on hand, I'm not 100% sure how effective my sharpening (polishing really) was so it would also be nice just to feel a good blade so I have a basis for comparison.