Newfman

That Sew-N-Sew

Yup, a bit ahead of myself here, but I have been trying to educate myself on the $$$ higher ticket items.

I haven't found any posts about the Tippman Aerostitch.

They claim to be able to sew nylon webbing, chap leather, and saddle leather, all with the same machine. I noticed in other threads, you folks seem to have a machine for this, and a machine for that. The Tippman seems easy enough that even I could learn to use it.

I'm not dismissing that fact that I must learn to hand stitch, and learn it very well.

I'm guessing that a few other people would be interested to get some guidance on sewing machines for the earlier entrants to saddle and tack work. I should also mention, my better half would be interested in making dog related items. Leashes, collars, leads, and harnesses, so leather and webbing would be an issue.

Speed isn't a real factor right now, so 2,000 stitches per minute isn't necessary, and will keep me out of the ER. . .maybe.

Newf, simply put, "it takes as many as it takes!" You can make good high quality saddles without the use of a machine at all. Or you can have one set up to do each area of a saddle if that is what floats you boat. Bottom line you can get into it with out a lot of outlay for equipment. I started out completely stitching by hand,( still stitch a lot by hand) and yes it does take a lot longer than doing it with a machine, but if you practice hand stitching and get good at the quality of the saddle will actually be better. It is just a matter of how serious you are about doing the job right. I am sure you will come to some place in the middle, most do.

Bob

Edited by BondoBobCustomSaddles

Thanks Bob,

Your input and advice is always appreciated. I'm presently looking at tools for hand sewing as well. I want the biggest bang for my buck. I usually would rather wait to buy the best quality, than to buy cheap stuff and have to, or want to replace it. I find if i buy something cheap, and it works though with some unnecessary struggle, I will just continue to struggle, rather than replace it. So, I would rather buy good tools to begin with.

I have a Bainbridge Speedy Stitcher Awl that I bought at West Marine almost 20 years ago. I hand sewed rolls of shade cloth together to cover my atrium and koi pond in southern California, as well as made as sun shade for a 40 foot sailing yacht. I had never sewn anything prior to that. It worked, but I always had tension issues. Strength was the target, pretty. . .not so much. My hands were like hamburger after an afternoon and evening of sewing 30 or so feet. It was strangely enjoyable though.

I am sure there are a lot better tools for it than that. I still have the darn thing. Would like something nicer for fine leather work. So, i would certainly take reccomendations on that front as well. I would like to be able to do some hand sewing, as well as machine sewing. So i am also tying to educate myself on the machine side as well.

I want to start tooling some practice leather as well, but just cannot bring myself to by tandy tools. I want to gather more instructional materials, find some patterns to work on and buy BK tools or an equivalent quality. I especially would like to, as much as possible, buy hand made American stuff. Support the little guy, and get the high standsards of quality that tend to come with it. How dis I get on this tangent???

Thanks again Bob. (Still like the looks of your Caballo friend in your avatar.)

Thanks Bob,

Your input and advice is always appreciated. I'm presently looking at tools for hand sewing as well. I want the biggest bang for my buck. I usually would rather wait to buy the best quality, than to buy cheap stuff and have to, or want to replace it. I find if i buy something cheap, and it works though with some unnecessary struggle, I will just continue to struggle, rather than replace it. So, I would rather buy good tools to begin with.

I have a Bainbridge Speedy Stitcher Awl that I bought at West Marine almost 20 years ago. I hand sewed rolls of shade cloth together to cover my atrium and koi pond in southern California, as well as made as sun shade for a 40 foot sailing yacht. I had never sewn anything prior to that. It worked, but I always had tension issues. Strength was the target, pretty. . .not so much. My hands were like hamburger after an afternoon and evening of sewing 30 or so feet. It was strangely enjoyable though.

I am sure there are a lot better tools for it than that. I still have the darn thing. Would like something nicer for fine leather work. So, i would certainly take reccomendations on that front as well. I would like to be able to do some hand sewing, as well as machine sewing. So i am also tying to educate myself on the machine side as well.

I want to start tooling some practice leather as well, but just cannot bring myself to by tandy tools. I want to gather more instructional materials, find some patterns to work on and buy BK tools or an equivalent quality. I especially would like to, as much as possible, buy hand made American stuff. Support the little guy, and get the high standsards of quality that tend to come with it. How dis I get on this tangent???

Always glad to help. By the way, my old friend there has been living the life of Riley for some time now, however; we just finished redoing my riding area, and instead of sod, he will be working on a real arena floor and I expect he will muscle up like he used to when I did a lot of riding. I'll post some pics once he is in the pink again.

Bob,

PS: it pays to let your offspring play with Tonka Toys, he may just grow up to own his own excavation and grading co. and come home to do a little for ol'dad.

post-8161-009652900 1332957748_thumb.jpg

post-8161-098019300 1332957776_thumb.jpg

post-8161-037373300 1332957806_thumb.jpg

Wow, very nice! That looks like a good size arena. Right now, I just need a good round pen with good footing. Something my horse can get good support on and I can hit from a fairly high altitude. . .and not die. My critter is a leppy. Almost killed by his momma, and then had an abusive owner. Brian Neubert calls him the "worst buckin' horse in my 28 years of doin' colt startin' clinics!" He's a little Oldenburg Thoroughbred. Sweetest horse in the world . . .on the ground. After 4 days, he did mangage to get two 30 second rides without a buck. . .but you knew it was comin!

post-8584-054828300 1332958534_thumb.jpg

post-8584-094929500 1332958630_thumb.jpg

I struggled with this. Decided to make what was essentially a car payment for five years and lease a Campbell Bosworth with a $1 buyout at the end. Decided to make the investment for the best stitch. I have been very satisfied and has been paid off for a few years now. Just picked up a 211G155 Singer (wish now I had reverse) for nylon work and see the need for both. Whatever you decide, the investment in a stitcher will be the best investment in a piece of equipment to keep moving forward in the business of leather work. One of the walking foot machines may give you more flexibility.

Good luck and God Bless,

Mike

Cool. thanks for your advice.

Dennis

I have 2 machines and working on getting my 3rd. The reason behind 3 machines......I'm lazy in a certain respect. One will be used for heavy leathers, one for lighter leathers and the other for canvas. I really hate adjusting tensions. It can take a lot of time away from the project. As Bob said, you need as many as you need. In my case, it's 3 since my disdain for adjusting tensions requires me to spend more money on machines!! There is also another reason and that is in case one happens to break or have problems, I do have one to fall back on if need be.

Frank

Thanks Frank

Funny about your signature. . .that is what mine says (said) in another forum I belonged to. Good words to live by.

That certainly makes sense, if production is really up and on the move. Starting out, I won't have that problem. Maybe, I will be fortunate enough to have that be a problem. Like you, I am all about the right tool for the job, and no silly monkey buisness. If I can afford it.

I heard from Tippman on the Aerostitcher. Seems I arrived on scene long after the show was over. They felt that that stitcher served a part of the market that was too small to support it. I guess it would be that transition between being an advanced amatuer and turning Pro. Too much machine for a beginner, and by the time you were ready for one, you suck it up and buy a big machine. Too bad, because the AeroStitcher looked pretty good. Simple and functional.

Edited by Newfman

Thanks Bob,

Newf, as promised, here are some pics of "Duke" after 4 days of steady work in the new arena. He is beginning to leg up just fine.

Bob

post-8161-098867100 1334885595_thumb.jpg

post-8161-016620000 1334885619_thumb.jpg

post-8161-062596500 1334885641_thumb.jpg

Hey, he is looking great! I just came back from riding an OTTB. Yup, an Off track Thoroughbred. Not only that, I rode in a D-r-e-s-s-a-g-e- saddle! Just a bit different. It went well with my boots, blue jeans and Cinch shirt. talk about being out of shape! My legs feel like fat hams! It was interesting. I'm going to do it some more. I think it will do a lot for my balance in a western working saddle. Should be interesting to see how it all works out. Cris Cox got me thinking about crossing to the dark side for awhile to become a more rounded rider. A blend of both worlds. Just imagine me at a branding. . .Wrangler Jeans, Cowboy boots, Cinch shirt, Wade saddle, top hat and tails!

Duke is looking great. glad he is enjoying his new arena!

Cheers, and thanks for the update. GO Duke!

D