I've made alot of holsters but not a back holster. I see that most small of the back holsters generally hold the gun in an almost up side down position. I have a customer who wants his holster the opposite way so that the gun sits in the holster right side up at a cant. Would there be a reason not to make it this way?

You mean like so http://glock.pro/attachments/carry-issues/4127d1365422601-small-back-holster-full-size-glock-but-different-wp_000099-large-.jpg?

Well lets answer this by self-testing. Grab behind your back and tell me which way is more comfortable and in which way you can grab the pistol better. In other words, sliding your fingers between your back and the grip, eventually get your fingers caught in the t-shirt... or just place your hand over the handle, grab it and pull. Get what I mean?

The reason I went with the grip up was simply when drawing the firearm the muzzle would be index away from the body. If you go with the grip facing down you are more likely to draw the firearm and index the muzzle towards the body as you get on target.

This is one I made for a friend. He told me he wanted a IWB SOB holster that had the grip down. I researched it on this forum, and learned the concerns (tendency to point the muzzle at your hip after the draw). I explained all this to him, but he wanted it anyway. He's a trained and competent gun handler, so I made it.

After I got into the project I realized it was a pain. The holster can't be canted much or the grip would be too close or below the belt line. This was a problem unique to the IWB.

He's had the holster for four months and reports good comfort and concealabilty. Holstering is difficult for him (maybe with all SOB holsters?). And he said where the belt loop attaches to the holster is a bit floppy. I figured it's main function was to stabilize the holster vertically, and the belt over it would keep it tight to the body.

I never posted these pics before, because I wasn't all that proud of this design. I didn't even charge for this one. I told him I'd consider it a prototype and wanted honest feedback for in return.

In summary, try to explain why a SOB holster (IWB or outside) is safer with the grip up. Have him simulate the draw both ways with his hand. It requires concentration not to flag your body with muzzle when the holster carries the pistol grip down, and that's when there's no stress.

post-46186-0-12417800-1430674477_thumb.j

post-46186-0-35299300-1430674517_thumb.j

post-46186-0-18540200-1430674551_thumb.j

Edited by dakotawolf

For those of us who have difficulty completing such a draw, the back of the hand draw is much more ergonomic. The most important challenge is to make it comfortable. A good sweat guard protecting the hammer at all times would be essential. 'Course, with the striker fired guns these days, that should be easy.

Thanks all for your thoughts. These are the same thoughts I had. I had talked with the customer extensively when he placed the order and he felt the grip down gave less tork on his shoulder. I do see how it's easier to drag the barrel across your body as you draw though so it's something I will once again talk to him about.

You may also suggest that if he is ever shoved down by an antagonist, . . . lands on his back, . . . with the weapon between his spine and the concrete, . . . he may be paralyzed for life.

I've had requests, . . . turned every one down on that simple thought alone.

May God bless,

Dwight

I've made alot of holsters but not a back holster. I see that most small of the back holsters generally hold the gun in an almost up side down position. I have a customer who wants his holster the opposite way so that the gun sits in the holster right side up at a cant. Would there be a reason not to make it this way?

-item-34837-custom-leather-holster-smal-

Place a gun behind your belt in the small of the back and position it with the grip down now try to draw it without sweeping your kidney or other body parts with the muzzle.

You may also suggest that if he is ever shoved down by an antagonist, . . . lands on his back, . . . with the weapon between his spine and the concrete, . . . he may be paralyzed for life.

I've had requests, . . . turned every one down on that simple thought alone.

May God bless,

Dwight

My thoughts and policy, too.

My doctor (an avid and expert shooter, qualified instructor, and reserve Deputy) and I discussed this in detail and he brought in an x-ray of a spine that had been damaged as described above. The vertabrae where the gun was was offset almost 1" ....which is really really close to the 1.18" width of the Glock the person was carrying - SOB and across the spine.

I know someone who broke his hip from pocket carry.....does that make it wrong to carry in that position?

I Carry appendix......imagine what i could sweep......

I dont carry on my hip IWB because it hurts my back

A gun shoved in your pants can hurt you any where you stick it.....

Edited by cleanview

I know someone who broke his hip from pocket carry.....does that make it wrong to carry in that position?

I Carry appendix......imagine what i could sweep......

I dont carry on my hip IWB because it hurts my back

A gun shoved in your pants can hurt you any where you stick it.....

I agree with Cleanview on this. Different carry options bring up different issues but they all come with issues. I will and do make SOB holsters after making sure the customer knows the pros and cons. I read a thread on a pistol forum the other day about bikers who were very anti-shoulder holster because of the risk of breaking ribs if you ever lay the bike down while wearing one. It's a valid point and a good thing to discuss with anyone who carries in a shoulder rig while on a bike, but not a reason to never make a shoulder rig.

As to the OP's question, I prefer grip up and try to convince customers to go that route. They are easier to get a grip on if nothing else.

All the best, Josh

I had someone request that very thing. I declined.

Friends,

A.} I agree that the potential for Spinal Injury is grave with SOB Holsters.

It doesn't have to be a fight. A fall on the ice could do it.

B.} If your shirt/jacket should get hiked up exposing the gun you wouldn't know it.

I was wearing an Outside The Pants Holster—A Chapman High Ride—one day covered by an Army BDU Shirt Left unbuttoned.

I bent over to get a candy bar on a low shelf at a Convenience Store. My Holster hiked without my being aware of it. A law was standing behind me and I wasted the next half hour while he waited to see if my .45 Automatic was on any hot list.

I didn't know how to tell the law—without sounding like a Smart Ass and causing myself grief—but all the while he was worried about my 70 Series Colt .45 I still had my S&W 4" .44 Magnum in my Shoulder Holster.

Lesson:

#1} The Shirt exposed the Firearm without me being aware of it.

{I think a SOB Holster would be even more likely to do that.}

#2} Any Outside the Pants holster is a poor choice for concealment.

RVM45

Edited by RVM45

Friends,

A.} I agree that the potential for Spinal Injury is grave with SOB Holsters.

It doesn't have to be a fight. A fall on the ice could do it.

B.} If your shirt/jacket should get hiked up exposing the gun you wouldn't know it.

I was wearing an Outside The Pants HolsterA Chapman High Rideone day covered by an Army BDU Shirt Left unbuttoned.

I bent over to get a candy bar on a low shelf at a Convenience Store. My Holster hiked without my being aware of it. A law was standing behind me and I wasted the next half hour while he waited to see if my .45 Automatic was on any hot list.

I didn't know how to tell the lawwithout sounding like a Smart Ass and causing myself griefbut all the while he was worried about my 70 Series Colt .45 I still had my S&W 4" .44 Magnum in my Shoulder Holster.

Lesson:

#1} The Shirt exposed the Firearm without me being aware of it.

{I think a SOB Holster would be even more likely to do that.}

#2} Any Outside the Pants holster is a poor choice for concealment.

RVM45

I have made two SOB holster for Phoenix PD one of which is my brother. Both love them very much. Say it conceals well. Two I carry a G23 in a pancake OWB concealed. from time to time the bottom of my holster sucks out the bottom of my shirt.this caused me some grief with a mall security guy. He called the PD and when they showed up all I said was there was no sign posted saying I couldn't carry on the property. If they want me to leave that is fine didnot mean to cause any problems. The PD turned to the Mall security and told him he was in the wrong. Lessons learned if you a total concealment holster than you can't get to it quick. If you want to get to it quick you loose some concealment.

I read a lot of posts that warn about the danger of a SOB holster. I wore a Galco classic SOB for years off-duty, with a Beretta 92FS, and had no problems. I was slammed and pinned by a 350 pound pissed off drunk guy, and didn't sustain any back injuries except for the gravel that dug into my back. Frankly, the cuff case over my appendix hurt more than the holster did. I would personally recommend grip up just to avoid sweeping ones own body, but if the wearer is very thin or flexible, I could see it working - but with a bit more awkward draw. Also in that position, I think it will be too high on the back, and that significant printing is a risk.

The image below isn't my holster, but it's exactly like the one I had. The frame of the gun was almost parallel to my belt, maybe with a 10 to 15 degree cant. I prefer this design over the current Galco SOB holsters.

post-60252-0-52052100-1432431210_thumb.p

Edited by GaryNunn