Chris B

need to put together a work bench

Hello, My name is Chris and I am just starting in leather work. I have purchased the deluxe tandy kit and also, I was on ebay and purchase the Al Stohlman Home Study course book. So, I think I am going to have to follow that. No I dont have any pics of my work yet. I still need to put together a work bench, does anyone have any suggestions for one?

Thanks,

Chris

You want a workbench that is sturdy with no give. If it has four legs, build two more in the center. If you have to pound on the edge (where the leg is) and can't use the center because of the bounce, it's not good enough.

Go to a monument company and ask for a scrap piece of marble (they will have a pile that chipped, cracked or had a mistake, and often they will give it to you if you can carry it) and buy a piece of Poundo for the other end of the bench. It will save you from looking for a scrap every time you want to punch a hole or slot. Lighting is more of an issue with me now than it used to be 20 years ago. I got some overhead shop lights on sale, but I like having a gooseneck lamp I can focus so I don't work in a shadow. You also need a radio or cd player and a coffeepot, and you should be good to go. :)

Johanna

Hey thanks. Noel do you have any give with that butchers block? That is the size that I am looking for. Since right now I live in an apartment. And dont have a lot of space. Johanna, what is poundo and where can I get some?

thanks,

Chris

Well, I guess it's called "Protecto Board" now...hmmm...

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/product...?number=3461-03

Maybe one of the guys has a better source or can point you to a better product. I've not used this "Protecto", but it looks like a brown "Poundo".

Johanna

Hello,

What I made my work bench from is 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood glued & screwd. Then I covered it with a sheet of nylon (cutting board). Yes it was expensive but it will last me until the end.

For a tooling/stamping board, I took an old cement sidewalk block and contact cemented a piece of old lanolium to it, this works wonedfuly as there is no bounce or give to it.

Like Johanna, I'd suggest going to a tile/counter top store and ask to see what they have left over from jobs and/or scraps. I found a piece of 18" x 24", 1.5" thick, granite for $20, and there was a wide variety to choose from.

When I first started the holster-making business, I adopted/adapted a closet in one of the rooms of the house. I took the bifold doors off, got a piece (hardly damaged) of counter top and two or three slightly damaged kitchen cabinets from the local Lowe's store. The 6' long counter top was a perfect fit in the closet. I then put track lighting in there that simply plugged into an electrical outlet, and added a desktop lamp. I've used that basic set up for every shop set up I've done. It's quick, relatively inexpensive, and easy to set up (and take down/move). Here's a pic of our current shop set up when we first moved in (we've done a number of changes since then):

NewShop1e.jpg

I paid $20 for the 8' long countertop (slightly damaged) and about $40 for each of the small cabinets and about $60 for the double cabinet.

When I first moved to Macon, a store in the same shopping center as the Tandy went out of business, and they threw away carpeted risers they used for display purposes. Jon retrieved one from the dumpster, hammers 6 two-by-fours in for legs and was delighted that his tools wouldn't nick when he threw them on the bench. We built it in the room that was our shop, and ended up leaving it there (wouldn't go through the door!) I kept my cutting table and dye bench, though. A few years ago my dad gave me his workbench that he built when I was a little girl for his woodworking.

workbench__Medium_.jpg

There is no give or bounce on this bench because of these legs:

benchleg__Medium_.jpg

This is the dye bench (yeah, I know, the shop is a mess!)

dyebench__Medium_.jpg

and most of the rest of the shop:

shop__Medium_.jpg

Johanna

PS that black "rubber-looking" stuff on the marble is a piece of Poundo

post-5-1179187464_thumb.jpg

post-5-1179187515_thumb.jpg

post-5-1179187561_thumb.jpg

post-5-1179187598_thumb.jpg

Wow, thanks guys for all of the ideas. I am going to have to start and get busy. Soon, probably this weekend. Afternoon Shift sucks. And, all of your shops look good.

Thanks,

Chris

Kevin,

Is that a Bonny Doon press in the background of your photo? Die cutting and forming in leather shop? I used one some for forming silver & gold sheet and to die cut. Mine was strickly manual and slow (lot of handle pumps).

BTW, the 3000 should ship today or tomorrow.

Regis

I went to a recycle place and got a solid core door and mounted that on some counter drawers. Very solid. I agree with the lighting. 

Edited by mustangman2

I have 2 bench set ups and in both cases made sure there was direct to the floor support in the centre of the work area. And ironically I got several granite and marble slabs from the dumpster of the counter top shop... beside Tandy... hee hee....

I love seeing people shops and started a thread but no one seems to be sharing:

I got this one from Sam's Club. It is sturdy, has a light attached and plenty of room for tools. I got the lab of granite from cabinet shop pretty cheap. 

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/seville-classics-lighted-hardwood-top-workbench/prod3460484.ip

bench.jpg