LTC

Making My Own Conchos

yes these are real coins, no i don't need a lecture from anyone about defacing coins thanks. :)

Edited by LTC

Those are really cool! I like them.

Right on! I am using Buffalo nickels for mine......they are beautiful when polished. Trying the smaller Mercury dime next.

FDL

I don't remember where I got it, . . . but I understand that some of the old cowboys of yesteryear would punch a hole in a silver dollar, . . . and use it for the rowel in their spurs, . . . that way they always had 2 dollars on their person.

When I looked for different rowels for mine, . . . "IKE" dollars were just the right size, . . . and you guessed it, . . . Dwight has "Ike" dollar rowels in his spurs.

Hang in there LTC, . . . if they come and get you, . . . they'll probably already have me in the wagon, . . . we can chat till the lawyers get there

:evillaugh:

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

lol!! ok, you got it Dwight!

funny you mention that...i think i'd heard the same story at some point, so quite a few years ago i got an Ike dollar in my birth year (the 40% silver one) and drilled a small hole in it to carry on my keychain. it's been on there a while now...getting "character" :)

i don't ride horses anymore or i'd try the spur idea. though when i used to ride, i used much smaller rowls...

thanks for the kind words all...

Edited by LTC

Brilliant minds think alike! While the "dollar" conchos on this saddle were fake, the half dollar standing liberty ones on the ear cuts were real. Move over and make room on that wagon for me!!!

Bobpost-8161-0-12873800-1397919178_thumb.jp

Brilliant minds think alike! While the "dollar" conchos on this saddle were fake, the half dollar standing liberty ones on the ear cuts were real. Move over and make room on that wagon for me!!!Bob

That saddle looks really handsome. those conchos add a lot to it and are very tastefully done. just beautiful.

don't worry...plenty of room in the wagon. lol

I do the same thing. Something really neat about making your own conchos. Nice work!

All this wagon talk, if you're referring to defacing coins, there's actually nothing illegal about it. I did my research before I started making mine and discovered it's only illegal to deface currency if you try to use it as currency again. Otherwise those little penny souvenir machines you see everywhere wouldn't exist :)

I do the same thing. Something really neat about making your own conchos. Nice work!

All this wagon talk, if you're referring to defacing coins, there's actually nothing illegal about it. I did my research before I started making mine and discovered it's only illegal to deface currency if you try to use it as currency again. Otherwise those little penny souvenir machines you see everywhere wouldn't exist :)

yeah. i know. :)

Your both correct. I son't know whay people get so bent about it. Altering coins for jewelry and decoration has been done for as long as there have been coins. ALl anyone has to do is go to the US mints web site all though they don't encourage it they say it is not illegal unless you alter drill etc. a coin with the intent to defraud. http://www.usmint.gov/consumer/?action=FAQ As there disclaimer says they don't interpret the law and neither do I, however what they say is good enough for me.