texback

Pistol Case Pattern

Does anyone know where I can get a pistol carrying case pattern? I have searched here, on Ebay, and the web and all I come up with are pictures. Any help would be appreciated.

If you are refering to one like pictured below (done by one of the members here and found under show off) there is a pattern for that type in Tandys Holster and Gun belt Pattern Pack., The Tandy I go to has it so you might be able to get it at your local Tandy if not it is down loadable from the Tandy Leathercraft library. The Holster and Gun Belt Pattern Pack is DOwnloadable for $3.99 and canains the pattern. They call it a Gun Caddy. I have the pattern pack and it is pretty much like the picture. If you want a hard sided case like a brief case there is a pattern for that in Tandy's Leather cases volume Three. Hope this helps.

post-15001-0-02344300-1376095913_thumb.j

Tex,

This is the best I can do for a pattern. I actually make mine one at a time, then pitch them, for something like this. I use manila envelopes and masking tape (to add back stuff I cut out :winkiss: ).

I use about 7 oz leather for mine, . . . but they can be anywhere from 4 to 9 depending on how big the gun is, . . . tooling, . . . lining, . . . etc.

My son has the first one I ever made, . . . he might sell the gun, . . . but you can bet the bag will never go anywhere except his safe.

Let me know if you have any other questions, . . . but really it is pretty straight forward.

One caution, . . . on the corners, . . . make at least a 3 inch diameter curve, . . . otherwise the zipper is one super pain to sew. I sew mine from the middle out, . . . if you sew the other way, . . . Murphy's law comes into play, . . . and something won't be right.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-0-35513700-1376096333_thumb.jp

One of the "Making leather cases" by Uncle Al has a briefcase type case for a hand gun.

Thanks for the info guys. Camano, guess I overlooked it in the Tandy pattern pack because of them calling it a caddy. That indeed is what I was looking for. Dwight, I like the way you described your method as it would allow the case to be made different sizes for different pistols instead of a one size fits all and I understand Murphy's law all too well as I have plenty of botched projects lol. Do you glue your zipper before you sew? I've never sewn a zipper and could use some good advice on how to go about doing it. Thanks again for all the help.

Dwight, I like the way you described your method as it would allow the case to be made different sizes for different pistols instead of a one size fits all and I understand Murphy's law all too well as I have plenty of botched projects lol. Do you glue your zipper before you sew? I've never sewn a zipper and could use some good advice on how to go about doing it. Thanks again for all the help.

Tex, . . . a friend who reintroduced me to leather work some 20 years ago put me on to glueing it all together before sewing. In the interim, . . . I've probably done a half dozen things without the glue (I actually use Weldwood Contact Cement, . . . exclusively) but honestly, I cannot remember one right now.

I coat each "side" where it is to be sewn with a small plumbers brush bought from Harbor Freight (whole bag of em is about 3 bucks) then use my heat gun to dry the contact cement, . . . line em up, . . . stick em together, . . . sew em and be done with that part.

Anyone who has sewn in a zipper knows they are not "cake" but can be handled. My secret is making that bottom corner you have to go around (twice) a nice long sweeping turn, . . . makes it easier and looks better.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks Dwight. I usually glue everything before I sew or lace and my gut feeling said it's the same for a zipper...but since I've never done a zipper I just wasn't sure. Guess I will just take the plunge and give it a try.