Sign in to follow this  
Bluesman

Forum Search Engine

Seems there have been some topics of discussion on how to get the best bang out of the LW search engine. I am not a nooby to the Forum life and have used many different systems. The one we have here works on the word or words you type in. The confusing part is that it brings up every thread, were this word is found. So you type in "sewing alligator" and you get a list of threads which mostly have to do with sewing. You continue on and get frustrated. I have found this trick to be extremely effective on this board.

For this example we will use the same queary, "sewing alligator"

1.) Skip the search box,

2.) Hit the advanced search button

3.) Type in "alligator", No, no I want to know how to sew alligator. Relax we'll get there

4.) Check the box to search Only Titles

5.) Hit enter

Every thread with alligator in the subject line pops up. Now, think there is one in there that talks about sewing? You will be amazed at how much information is at your fingertips if you search wisely. Putting to many words in a search does nothing but muddy the queary. Do one word searches which is your topic. Then look at the thread titles and descriptions to see if something narrows it down for you. I used this method when I was doing an inlay. Typed in stingray and boom, everyhting I wanted to know and more. Even cut and paste items and save them to my computer. I found this to be very effective. And also learned way more than my original question. You might not only learn how to sew alligator, but cut it, glue it, dye it, finish it and so on. So one search delivers multiple answers.

Jon

Good tips. Not there just needs to be a way to find the posts about sewing alligator that are titled, "can't figure this out".

Good tips. Not there just needs to be a way to find the posts about sewing alligator that are titled, "can't figure this out".

Type in alligator. I trust you can do the rest.

Was trying to be funny. I am refering to the posts that the topic has nothing to do with anything.

Was trying to be funny. I am refering to the posts that the topic has nothing to do with anything.

I'm a little slow ;)