puffenstuff

Rubber Stamping On Leather

I am planning to make and use some rubber stamps for my first serious attempt at Leatherwork. I have some scraps left over from a bag of remnants brought from a craft shop, they are already pre-dyed pieces.

I was initially thinking of using either dye or stain to use as the "stamp ink" but from what I understand the dye or stain will only take on veg tan leather. I am gathering that since the pieces are already dyed and probably sealed that I wont be able to get the dye or stain to stay permanently on the leather. My leatherwork experience so far extends to cutting up the pieces and sewing them together - the world of dyes, stain, finishes are something I am yet to experiment with and learn. Am I on the correct path here?

Pretty much on the correct path :) you could try the dies of course, but if the leather you have is predyed and probably finished you should give acrylic paints a try.

try an invisible ink pad, then after it dries, stain the leather. my daughter tried it and it left an image of her horse in a darker stain, looks really cool

You can use spirit dyes on veg tanned leather but it's difficult because it tends to bleed, so you may want to stamp a paper towel first nd then the leather to get some of the dye off. Experiment on some scraps first.