CustomDoug

(S) 45K25 And High Shank Attachments...

I have a few attachments left over from selling my Singer 31-15 (which is a high shank machine w/drop feed) and was wondering if I could make those attachments work with a 45k25 cylinder machine I have coming my way. I was just considering that the feed design etc are quite similar, just on a bigger scale w/ the 45K25. Perhaps the presser foot bar could be adjusted down to accomodate them?

This is probably not going to work on the new machine. It is entirely different. You may have to make a custom bracket to mount between the machine and your attachments.

hmm..Maybe I could use the very bottom part of a 31-15 presser bar, cut off a (to be determined) length and machine the top of it to mount to the 45K25's presser bar.

HI, the 31 and 45 are worlds apart in terms of weight, what attachments are you thinking of using?? People using the 45K25 usually use a plain presser foot or a roller foot. These can be hard to find, but can be found eventually if you seek them out. You should if you really wanted to be able to take the bar up, but I wouldn't be inclined to cut anything off it. Regards Steve

No steve, I wouldn't dream of cutting anything off the 45K .... I was saying I'd make an adapter from the end of a 31's presser foot bar. One end would fit the attachments and the other would need to be machined to fit onto the 45K. The 45K's bar may or may not need to be raised up from it's factory set point for that to work. I have a left over roller foot for the 31-15 (the small roller), a zipper foot and probably the most important item to me is the high shank keyhole buttonhole attachment. If I can make that work I'd have no need to source another 31-15.

HI Doug,

Hope you are happy with the 45K, I'm a collector and buy and sell a bit, and have 2 45K25 and 4 45K58 in stock at the moment. I think they are a great machine.

I've just put a query on leatherworker about a logo, I'm trying to find out what manufacturer had the two lions and crown as there symbol. I've been told its Werheim, however I thought they were the dwarf and hammer and star of David. I think its German.

Regards Steve

No steve, I wouldn't dream of cutting anything off the 45K .... I was saying I'd make an adapter from the end of a 31's presser foot bar. One end would fit the attachments and the other would need to be machined to fit onto the 45K. The 45K's bar may or may not need to be raised up from it's factory set point for that to work. I have a left over roller foot for the 31-15 (the small roller), a zipper foot and probably the most important item to me is the high shank keyhole buttonhole attachment. If I can make that work I'd have no need to source another 31-15.

Thanks Singermania, as for the treadle base I answered about it in your thread.

There are a variety of roller feet in production up to about 1 1/8" and I am sure there are feet that will fit the 45k if you want to make a zipper foot but I think the only way to get the buttonhole attachment to fit would be to have an adaptor made. The needle bar stroke is considerably longer on a 45k than a standard flat bed machine and this is what will probably kill the idea.

...but I think the only way to get the buttonhole attachment to fit would be to have an adaptor made. The needle bar stroke is considerably longer on a 45k than a standard flat bed machine and this is what will probably kill the idea.

Yes, the adapter is what I'm considering (see details above). I hadn't thought about the longer needle bar stroke of the 45K but I wonder if it would really make any difference since the attachment connects to and works off the presser bar anyway. With my luck, you're probably right. I'll try to report my findings in this thread.

While the buttonholer attaches to the presser foot bar it is the needle clamp that actually drives the action of the mechanism. I am very interested in any results.

If I had a 45k at the moment I would give it a try with a couple of the buttonhole attachments I have lying around.

Yes, the adapter is what I'm considering (see details above). I hadn't thought about the longer needle bar stroke of the 45K but I wonder if it would really make any difference since the attachment connects to and works off the presser bar anyway. With my luck, you're probably right. I'll try to report my findings in this thread.