LilyLambda

Narrower Oblong Punch

Hi, I'm looking for an oblong punch (1.5" or 1.75") in length to use when making the buckle hole on belts. Unfortunately the tools I've tried so far (Tandy) create a punch that is too wide. The tool description claims 1/8" width.

Where can I find an oblong punch that is narrower?

CSOsborne.com They have what you are looking for.

Or you can do what I do, . . . I use a 1 inch bag punch, . . . make the first hole, . . . carefully re-position, . . . and make the hole a bit longer.

Takes a bit of practice, . . . and care, . . . secret is to put the end down in the already made hole, . . . and "tap, tap, tap", . . . until you get it enlarged.

Works for me.

May God bless,

Dwight

Or you can do what I do, . . . I use a 1 inch bag punch, . . . make the first hole, . . . carefully re-position, . . . and make the hole a bit longer.

Takes a bit of practice, . . . and care, . . . secret is to put the end down in the already made hole, . . . and "tap, tap, tap", . . . until you get it enlarged.

Works for me.

May God bless,

Dwight

+1, this is exactly what I do and it works fine. Save your $ for more leather!

If you cant find or cant afford what you need, with a little ingenuety, a vise, a grinder, an hour or two, and some chromoly tubing from an old bicycle frame, you can squish the tube in the vise to the required thickness, cut off, sharpen and punch away. The chromoly tubing holds an edge surprisingly well. Squish the tube an inch or two away from the end, and then cut it in the squished part to get a straight edge. They dont last forever, but are relatively easy and super cheap to make again. If you want, i could try to pur together a tutorial on this:

7/8 tube squished=1 1/8 bag slot.

post-60185-0-03393600-1426783122_thumb.jpost-60185-0-74779200-1426783123_thumb.jpost-60185-0-28544300-1426783126_thumb.jpost-60185-0-81629600-1426783131_thumb.jpost-60185-0-70084800-1426783134_thumb.jpost-60185-0-40883500-1426783137_thumb.j

Update: I solved the problem by combining a few strategies. First, I got a shorter punch (1" instead of 1.5"). Second, I went with Osbourne. (There are also punches from Midas and Zack White but they're about the same width). Third, I got more attractive brass buckles whose tongues used up the full width anyway.