Sign in to follow this  
TwinOaks

Need used machine info

Hello one and all,

I'm getting enough orders now to need a stitching machine to keep up. I've been planning on Boss around tax time, but now have had another option presented to me. A friend of mine is looking to finance the set up of a holster/gun leather shop in the gun store he manages and is hopefully going to own soon. Given that he likes my work, and wants to offer my leather goods as some of his stock, he told me to research the prices on a machine and give him some numbers. I can easily point him to the major 3 manufacturers, but I'm also curious about the used/refurbished market.

I'll need a machine that will handle up to a half inch (for lined and welted items), and is at the very least a jump foot or unison feed.

What kind of price range should I be looking at, and is it even worth looking at the used market? Should I just be planning of ~$2K for a new machine?

Thanks,

Mike

If you are going to be sewing leather items only, I would go with a Randall/ Campbell type leather stitcher. There is nothing on the market today that has a nicer or tighter stitch.

If you are going to be sewing leather items only, I would go with a Randall/ Campbell type leather stitcher. There is nothing on the market today that has a nicer or tighter stitch.

Hi Mike, yes Ryano has a good point, but the COBRA Class 4 is more versatile and it makes a heck of a nice stitch. You can't go wrong with either one. Steve

Mike I would say that my mind is closed one machine one Brand One Man.

Cobra class 3 or 4

Steve.

Josh

My 2 bobs worth. I would seriously consider going new straight of the bat. The prices are extremely reasonable at this point in time and new will give you years of trouble free stitching with a warranty. Not to say that a second hand is totally out of the equation I'd just give serious thought to brand new.

Barra

Thanks everyone, I was kinda leaning to a new machine to start with, but I thought I'd indulge my friend's curiosity. I could probably get a used industrial machine, but would spend more that an new machine in getting it set up for leather.