Tallbald

To Those Who Personalize Belts On-Site At Shows, How Do You.....

Hope I'm not being rude to ask. When leather crafters who stamp names and initials in leather belts and accessories on site at craft shows prepare their works, are they using unfinished veg tanned leather belts and such, stamping the products then applying finishes after ornamentation? I have been advised to look into personalized accessories at shows. But won't a finished product resist stamping? Does a craftsperson stamp and apply finish on site then hope the finish dries before the customer returns to pick it up? I'm thinking I'm missing something important, but I just don't know what. Another person tells me of having seen "a machine" that runs and does the stamping. Not sure I know of this sort of machine.Thanks. Don

I've done a few "craft" shows. I do my personalized stuff up the end - stopping before my final finish. Customers can come back in about 30 - 45 minutes to pick it up.. or pay to have it mailed.

So, Case... Stamp/Carve... Dye... Leather Balm w/ Atom Wax except the open custom area... Antique... STOP...

Now, at the show, I can use a put the name/initials in the spot I've left open for them. I case the top, and when it returns to color, I stamp and then hit it with a hair dryer on low heat. Mount the dryer on a pedestal for hands-free drying.. Then, I do a coat of leather balm and buff it until dry and glossy. Antique over the stamps and back under the drier. Then I do my final finish - usually a 50/50 Resolene.

Works for me. Just be sure not to cook your leather, or apply the finish if the antiquing is not dry.

And I'm sure there are better ways to do this. I'm all for hearing how as well!

Tom, that was great advice. I think I'll use it sometime. Thanks.

-Nick

Back in the seventys names on belts were very popular. They would take a belt that was already finished and put a type of colored tape across where they were going to put the name and stamp the letters over it. The stamp edge would cut through the tape and leave the letters looking like they were painted then you just peel off the cut out pieces. It looked very good and lasted the life of the belt. I don't remember what kind of tape it is but I've got a roll of brown and used it once to put a fellas initals on a used saddle, it came out great and he was pleased with it. It only takes a few minutes so the customer doesn't have to wait.

Edited by Troy Burch

Man, I'd love to find out what kind of tape that is. Sounds like a real time-saver!!!

Man, I'd love to find out what kind of tape that is. Sounds like a real time-saver!!!

I may be able to find out, I'll let you know.

post-47316-0-61936400-1397854729_thumb.j

Tom heres a picture of the tape. These two rolls were given to me years ago, the old retired leather worker said he bought them in 1992. Terrible picture but I just used them on that scrap and it still works, sticks good but very dirty. It's Scotch plastic tape by 3M. It says Tape repairs, Decorate and identifiy on the label. Shouldn't be hard to find. Good luck Troy

Edited by Troy Burch

I remember that stuff.

Scotch #191 Decorative tape.

I have some plastic type tape we used to stripe our PVC poles when we made dog agility equipment. I still have some and will give it a try.

Thanks

Are the stamps available and what are they called, please.

Red, they just use the regular Alphabet stamps like the sets from tandy. Although the alphabet stamps are not sharpened they have enough edge to cut through the tape.

Wow, Troy, that's pretty interesting! I will have to try this some time.