cowdog128

Farrier Chaps Pattern

Does anyone have a pattern for a pair of farrier chaps and also a suggestion on what's the best materials to use? Thanks a bunch

You will have a hard time finding a pattern specifically for Farrier apron or chaps. However a chink pattern is easily converted to make a farrier apron/chpas. The modification will be to close the leather at the top and have the buckle in the back. You may want to lengthen the legs a little. Stitch on some tool pouches and put re enforcment patches from above the knee to below the knee, basically the area you would be resting the horses leg against. I have found it handy to have a magnetic strip stitched between leather on the apron. It is a hndy place to hold a few shoe nails etc. You can use canvas denier or chap leather, apron leather etc.

Thanks for the response i was thinking chinks were close but I've never made a pair its a favor for a buddy at least I've got a starting point.thank you much for the advice

Just google farrier apron or chaps and you will see examples that look close to chinks easy to adapt the pattern.

PM me with an address, and I will send you a pattern for them. Also, I like to use pearl grey leather from Weaver. Wears like iron.

Bob

There are two basically different approaches, the traditional all leather and the "modern" combination. First the last, the legs are closed and close fitting and generally made from Cordura or some other type of very tough nylon yet still flexible enough to be comfortable. Think chain saw or snake pants. Then the knee and other 'wear' areas are reinforced with leather, usually the pearl gray that Bob is speaking of and nail magnets, knife pockets, tool loops, etc can be added to make what may well be the hardest job in the world a little bit easier. Bob's pattern will probably be for traditional leather ones which can be customized, as well. Just my personal preference and being a saddlemaking horseshoer I could easily experiment and indulge myself, I used the modified chink approach, using a light oil tanned leather for the body and then used the pearl gray stuff for reinforcing patches. I had used a pair of cut off batwings to shoe in for years and shaped and placed my patches based on the rasp wear on the old veterans. Magnets, loops and pockets have been in numerous locations on their way to "home'. That produced a homely, mud fence ugly looking concoction that I wouldn't trade for anything, but!

"Toot" pretty much hit the nail on the head. I have made these with many different combinations of material and gadgets hanging off of them, for different farriers including myself. I don't shoe any more , but; in my younger years I did a lot of shoeing around this area. Experience is the best teacher. I personally like leg ties to keep them close around my legs, also I use the thinner pearl grey material, however; I have made them out of really thin material and also canvas and put "wear" patches on them for durability. Again, it is all a matter of what you like. I also put the strap end of the belt on with 2 snaps so that in a pinch, I can be out of them quick. Again, all a matter of what you like.

Bob

Toot and Bob you saved the day. Thanks a million. One thing I haven't thought of yet is the strap's closures. I was thinking about heavy duty Velcro. Personally I like my farrier chaps tight on my legs so I don't have any wrinkles and such, therefore I thought of an elastic/expandable fabric with added Velcro. What do you guys think about that?