UKRay

Victorian Costume question:

The whole Victorian fair thing is getting quite big and I have need to find myself some kind of Victorian costume so I look the part, even if my work is not quite on the same timeline.

Essentially, I'm having problems finding a sensible costume that:

B) doesn't make me look any more of a dork than I do already... don't go there!

B) allows me to move around and work at a bench all day.

B) is appropriate to the time period.

My first thought was to do the steampunk thing, but that was stomped out of me by several show organisers who visualise things rather differently to me.

My question is simple: what would a Victorian leatherworker have worn?

Ray

The whole Victorian fair thing is getting quite big and I have need to find myself some kind of Victorian costume so I look the part, even if my work is not quite on the same timeline.

Essentially, I'm having problems finding a sensible costume that:

B) doesn't make me look any more of a dork than I do already... don't go there!

B) allows me to move around and work at a bench all day.

B) is appropriate to the time period.

My first thought was to do the steampunk thing, but that was stomped out of me by several show organisers who visualise things rather differently to me.

My question is simple: what would a Victorian leatherworker have worn?

Ray

... Broad Fall trousers, wellington boots ,or lace up shoes,collarless shirt,Leather Apron.

Well, I'm not THAT old, but; seems like Luke is, so I'll go along with him, he must have been there!

Bondo Bob

Well, I'm not THAT old, but; seems like Luke is, so I'll go along with him, he must have been there!

Bondo Bob

eusa_naughty.gifeusa_naughty.gifthumbsdown.gifrofl.gif

Ray. I'd add a wesket and if outside perhaps a flat cap. Now while most will associate a full sleeved collarless shirt with Victorian times, the addition of a detachable collar and tie said tradesman in the English class system.Old Army boots will do as typical work boots of the times. Do a google image search under

19th century/Victorian saddler,harnessmaker, leatherworker

Victorian or 19th century Walsall (add saddler or leather) and try and ignore the plethora of sites dedicated to a football team. Maybe just 19th century English tradesman or perhaps sites dedicated to Ludlow/Shropshire history.

Now these are old Australian photo's but it illustrates the type of photo you will get for the above searches where it seamed obligatory to pose for a pic outside your shop.

http://www.weewaa.com/AccountData/4/content/images/Tourism/JJSmithSaddler.JPG

http://home.pacific.net.au/~sails/chas%20wright%201788%20%20closeup%20saddler.jpg

I think this is a cool pic

http://www.picturesofengland.com/img/L/1089319.jpg

The addition of a thread rolling apron might add a talking point to the attire as not many are going to know what it is or used for.

Barra

Ray

Perhaps you should pay a visit to the Blists Hill Victorian Town . . . not very far from you.

I was amazed to see this picture posted here. A few years ago I spent an hour chatting to this gentleman in his little workshop at the Blists Hill Victorian Town museum. I was so envious of his job . . . a few hours a day, chatting to interested visitors, and at the same time making belts and leathergoods to sell as souvenirs.

He was a very knowledgeable chap, and he had original copies of catalogues and books that I've only ever seen as reproductions! I wonder if he's still there . . ?

Terry

10893191.jpg

post-7199-126187765528_thumb.jpg

Thank you all for the helpful suggestions and the links to useful information. I'm almost there!

I'm off to Ironbridge to talk to Blists Hill next week, Terry. I watched the Victorian Christmas TV programme from Acton Scott (which is just up the road from me) and was amazed by the shops and workshops they visited there.

Ray

Ray, contact me at willlie1212@yahoo.com I have a bunch of links and I think I can help you out without costing a fortune and / or comfort!

Bill

Edited by shotgunwilllie

Ray, contact me at willlie1212@yahoo.com I have a bunch of links and I think I can help you out without costing a fortune and / or comfort!

Bill

Ray,

You might try looking up US Civil War vendors...that period was 1860-65. I'm sure you can get civilian shirts an pants there.

Sparks