So here is one that I just finished for a female customer. She is into Western Dressage, which is gaining in popularity here in the Michigan area. This saddle features, insert padded seat, narrow twist area and wide seat area to accommodate the female anatomy, along with stirrups set back 1 1/2" from normal to allow for her to sit up straight and have her leg position below her without forcing her inner thighs outward. Also this saddle is deeply cut in at the leg position to allow very close contact with the horse and rider, it also has a "youth" horn to allow for interference free hand position since she rides with a bosal. The color and tooling is of her choice. She brought me a picture of what she wanted and said can you do this? I did.

I'll post a pic of it on the horse once she gets it to me.

Bob

post-8161-0-64165800-1453959159_thumb.jp

post-8161-0-05490800-1453959194_thumb.jp

post-8161-0-20659700-1453959245_thumb.jp

Wow! Simply beautiful.

Chief

I'm with Chief...No doubt!

Good looking saddle. That'll be lots of maintenance work with the stirrups being in this bright color ;) Riding Western Dressage with a bosal? Must be very well trained horse.

Bob, could you ask her for a little video? I'm quite curious to see how the horse moves.

Absolutely gorgeous saddle!

Holy Smoke!

Your my idol!

Absolutely a work of art...

Looks Awesome. Very nice details.

Absolutely gorgeous saddle!

I agree with what Rohn said.

Holy crap man. I can't imagine how much work goes into something like that. I've got enough trouble staying current on my holsters and knife sheaths, that would take me years to build. Beautiful work.

Stu

Outstanding.

Thanks to all for the kind words, when I see her again, I will ask about a video.

Bob

Good looking saddle. That'll be lots of maintenance work with the stirrups being in this bright color ;) Riding Western Dressage with a bosal? Must be very well trained horse.

Bob, could you ask her for a little video.

Ok Thor, you asked for it! She has a facebook web sight and has already started to post video. You can access it here ( www.facebook.com/groups/chance2ranch/ ) It sounds like she will be posting more video as she progresses with training.

Enjoy!

Bob

Thank you so much Bob, this is great advertisement for you. In some of the views the saddle shows better than on the pictures and what she says there is invaluable.

Haven't seen a Morgan in a while. To me one of the most versatile breeds.

Well done, FYI, I build all my saddles with SL's set back one inch to promote straighter leg balance (get trees made special), unless directed otherwise. I generally don't even mention it as I am convinced that most folks will feel good in that configuration. I also configure my ground seats and riggings for easy forward movement but making rearward movement nearly impossible. In my experience, feet behind center balance usually meant chin down and wreck on the way.

Edited by oltoot

Yes Toot, I agree. Like I said before, you and I see a lot of things the same way. Guess it's an age thing.

Bob

Truly Amazing Work!!!!!

Thanks Again for all the nice comments. The lady that owns it is now riding it and if we can get her down off it long enough for a pic of it on the horse, I'll post it also.

Bob

Golden - is the word i'de use tor this project, Its absolutely beautiful in gold ! Wild Bill46

Hi Bob,

Very good looking saddle! 

Setting stirrup leathers back is interesting-- is this common with western dressage riders?

Western Dressage riders are a new breed around here.  They are still looking to find their way.  So far, from what I can see, they are taking their que' from Traditional Dressage riders who are of the Jocken Schlese school of thought.  I do agree that like Toot says in an earlier post, a little rearward promotes better, position and balance for the novice, which helps prevent "accidents".  So far, for those that I have built them that way at their request, especially Women, I am getting great reviews.  It is interesting to note that the one I built for the lady in this post while it looks similar to her husbands', his was built with traditional stirrup placing and he wouldn't have it any other way.  Matter of preference I guess.

Bob

Great job on the saddle! Looks like it was ton of work, but nicely executed.

oltoot - though I get where you're coming from, for a "western dressage" saddle you'd want to allow some rearward stirrup movement, because they often have to drop their legs back to cue their horses. Most dressage riders are fussy enough about stirrup movement being restricted in general moving from english saddles.

As for being impressed about riding WD in a bosal, I wouldn't get too excited. I don't know the person in question, but if it's anything like these...people...they're just dressage riders playing dressup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLslhXR1uwY

Everything about this video is an english rider having no idea how to use a bosal. Ride like this never letting the heel knot drop and you're asking to get a colt running through the bosal. You'd never make a colt like this, so these are just dressage horses where the tack has been swapped. Likewise riding curb bits two handed on contact.

The rules actually REQUIRE contact at all times however, which is a fundamental flaw in the whole concept. They're bringing eductation to all us unwashed western masses though lol

The whole "sport" is a bit of a mixed up mess right now IMHO.

Edited by AdamTill

I don't know enough about saddle structure and this riding sport, . . . but from a leather working standpoint:  5 stars my friend............

May God bless,

Dwight

I don't know enough about building western saddles just yet, but since one of my many hats is that of a riding instructor I know a bit about posture and riding in various disciplines.

On 1/27/2016 at 6:36 AM, BondoBobCustomSaddles said:

along with stirrups set back 1 1/2" from normal to allow for her to sit up straight and have her leg position below her without forcing her inner thighs outward.

This is the whole explanation that's needed. Now matter of style, be it Western or English, the equitation part and rider's posture is a critical aspect for judging. But not only that, the key to proper rider balance is to have the legs placed where they belong, which is right below the body and not in front of the body. The far forward stirrups have come with reining as far as I know. 

Be it in English riding:

twopoint.jpg

or in Western riding:

rider-balanced.jpg

More comfortable having the stirrups up front and sitting in it like in a chair? Will look like this:

rider-unbalanced.jpg

The goal of dressage is to show a well balanced horse and a well balanced rider. Instead of reading a whole book, or books even you can read this http://jjmaxwell.com/ (click on "Proper positioning & balance")

Now additionally to this - the older we get the harder it is to place the legs properly below the body without having to force them back all the time. I noticed this during riding lessons with kids and adults. While children up to around 16 usually pick it up quite fast it is noticeable that the older the student gets the harder it is for them to place their legs below their body. Another thing is that the older one gets the more they tend to lean forward and believe they're sitting upright and once they're corrected to the upright position they feel like leaning back. I could further this to head position etc., but that would really be too much.

BTW. basic dressage is part of all official "ride to learn" programs in western riding. 

Thank you for your answer Bob.

I have said it before I think your saddles have a great look--- Old westerns!

would really like to see that saddle on a horse--- beat it looks awesome!

westers dressage ?  I've watched a few competition, each one very different from the next.

I figure it's sort of Free style, but everyone's having fun!

Take care my friend,  Billy