Sign in to follow this  
Crystal

What to do with semi-fresh snake skin?

Yuck - I do not like these legless beasties. However, I now have one that is skinned and tacked onto a board and taking up space in my garage. (Timber rattler 3+ feet long, 6 rattles)

The hubby would like to make a hatband out of it. I have no idea what to do to dry this, cure this, treat this, etc. to make it appropriate for a hatband. Just air dry? What can be put on it to keep it from becoming crispy?

If you can't tell - I have no clue of even where to begin or end. :dunno:

Thanks!

Crystal

Ah, someone has beaten me to the slither....

I researched this a bit because of a rather large 'problem' snake at my wife's stable.(the horse training facility kind....get your minds outta the gutter)

You've done the first steps, and now you'll need to get something like 'rep-tan' (Tandy). There are quite a few products on the market, and really, I suggest googling the subject for the one best suited to your needs. You'll also need to descale it, and once the hide is tanned, condition it. Due to the very thin nature of it, some folks recommend overlaying the snakeskin on something a little more substantial- 2-3 oz cow, pigskin, goat....you get the picture. This is to help prevent tearing of the snakeskin when used on something that might see abrasion, stretching, and what not. If you were just going to make a wall hanging out of it, you could effectively tan it with antifreeze (but that's probably not good for a hatband).

Also, because it's so thin, snake skin is NOT a good candidate for "salting".

Some tanning processes start with salting (to draw out oils and fluids from the skin) so the hide won't spoil or be infested with microbial (or bigger) critters (you'd either soak it in a brine solution, or rub salt onto one or both sides). Salting also accelerates the drying process (in case you don't have time or it's not possible to dry-by-air). Salting also loosens the surface fibers so the hide is easier to de-hair.

None of this is needed for snake skin because it's so thin, there aren't very many oils (it's not thick like mammal skins), and it generally doesn't have hair follicles. ;-))

Also, don't do it for snake skin because it will make the skin stiff and easier to tear (it does that to other skins, but they are thicker, and the later stages of tanning typically soften up big thick mammal skins).

I've brain tanned snake skins, and that works OK. I've done "nothing" (just air-dry), and that works out, but you have to be sure you really cleaned it (especially all the sub-cutaneous fat tissue, including that clear layer that you don't think you should remove but you should). If it's not cleaned well, it will smell funny when it gets wet. ;-))

Especially for the little skins (e.g., gardener snakes), I agree with backing it with a light (e.g., 2 oz) pig skin or belly cutoff to add strength and body.

Let us know how it works ... and pictures! I'm currently "workable" with snake skins, but I'm certain there are better ways to do it (I'd be interested in new ideas on this one!)

--charley

Thank you, Mike and Charley.

I will order some Rep-Tan from Tandy and go from there. Okay - I will order products, ask questions and the hubby will go from there. I REALLY do not like these things. :)

I have some 2-3oz leather laying around for backing. Next dumb question - After it is cured, just glue it onto the backing? I should wait to ask more questions - maybe the Rep-Tan is getting applied too late.

This is what it currently looks like.

TR1edit.jpg

TR2.jpg

Thanks again, gentlemen!

Crystal

post-6163-1212868630_thumb.jpg

post-6163-1212868675_thumb.jpg

Hi Crystal, I haven't been on the forum much lately, at least not in person. I usually stay loggeg on about all the time and look at it several times a day. I've been in the hospital and having a time with my diabetes. I just saw your question and over the years I've done a few snake skins. I always staple mine flesh side up, and put plain table salt on the flesh side pretty heavy. put it up in a dry place and after a couple of days wipe the salt off and reapply. After another couple of days get the salt off and wash with really mild soapy warm water, to get all the salt off. Some of the old timers used to tell to put 50/50 mixture of alcohol and glycerin, but I've sense found out that this is not the best way to do it. It works but not really good I've said a lot to tell you while there are some other things that can be done the best is like was said get the Rep-Tan kit from tandy and just follow the directions, let up know how it turns out. If I can get some skins this year I'm gonna order the Tandy stuff and try it myself. Regards Billy P

Hi Crystal, I haven't been on the forum much lately, at least not in person. I usually stay loggeg on about all the time and look at it several times a day. I've been in the hospital and having a time with my diabetes. I just saw your question and over the years I've done a few snake skins. I always staple mine flesh side up, and put plain table salt on the flesh side pretty heavy. put it up in a dry place and after a couple of days wipe the salt off and reapply. After another couple of days get the salt off and wash with really mild soapy warm water, to get all the salt off. Some of the old timers used to tell to put 50/50 mixture of alcohol and glycerin, but I've sense found out that this is not the best way to do it. It works but not really good I've said a lot to tell you while there are some other things that can be done the best is like was said get the Rep-Tan kit from tandy and just follow the directions, let up know how it turns out. If I can get some skins this year I'm gonna order the Tandy stuff and try it myself. Regards Billy P

Thanks, Billy. Hope you get to doing better. The hubby tried a skin (copperhead) a few years back and ruined it with salt and some kind of oil he put on afterward. He is going to give the Rep-tan a try this time. If it doesn't work out right I am sure he will have another chance to give it another go. It's hay baling season and that means snake season. He also knows too many people who seem to have slithery residents. If I had these things showing up on my porch, I'd move. :head_hurts_kr:

I'll be sure to post updates. Thanks for the advice.

Crystal

Ah, someone has beaten me to the slither....

I researched this a bit because of a rather large 'problem' snake at my wife's stable

Mike- just what kind of "problem snake" do you have? And define: rather large. :unsure:

Crystal