Sign in to follow this  
lightingale

Can I Paint Details With Fiebing's Spirit Dyes?

I'm making dog collars, and I'm staying away from acrylic paints because they can chip and their opaqueness looks kind of tacky.

I wonder if I can use a paint brush and paint with spirit dyes. Has anyone ever tried it? Anything to watch out for?

I'm going for an effect like the belt in this link: http://www.johan-potgieter.com/ll/?cat=7

Yes you can use dye with a regular artist brush get the better ones it will make life easier. You need to get some denatured alcohol to thin the dye with. It's way to strong straight out of the bottle. I have seen some say on here that they thin the dye down to 32 to 1 or 32 parts alcohol to one part dye.

Yes you can use dye with a regular artist brush get the better ones it will make life easier. You need to get some denatured alcohol to thin the dye with. It's way to strong straight out of the bottle. I have seen some say on here that they thin the dye down to 32 to 1 or 32 parts alcohol to one part dye.

Thanks! I agree that the dye is very strong. I did a test strip of all the colours straight out of the bottle. It was bright, although the blue and red got very dark.

I'll try diluting it with some rubbing alcohol and see what happens.

Rubbing alcohol won't work ! Or i never had any luck with it. You can get the denatured alcohol at a hardware store. You might get a couple of eye droppers to if you want to mix mix small amounts.