Seaphoenix

Brand New To This Leatherworking Thing With Lots Of Questions!

Hello!

I made a post earlier about finding suppliers in Japan - and realize I haven't made any sort of introductory post. I managed to find a shop local in Yokosuka, unfortunately I have not been able to catch it open yet! Argh!

I'm brand new to leather working. I'm 28 and in the Navy stationed at Yokosuka, Japan. My interest in leatherworking actually started in Japan, oddly enough. While on a port call, I traveled to Fukuoka. Wandering around the city, my friend and myself came upon a store devoted to leatherworking. It was, honestly, the first time I'd really seen such a thing. I thought it was incredible, particularly the tooling. Decided that when I got myself back to the states, I'd figure out what I needed to start and give it a go.

So I did. I bought myself a kit from Tandy - the one with their greatest variety of tools - because I had figured that while I knew I wanted to tool, I would probably want to do other things, as well.

I'm sort of glad that I did. The more that I really look into and research leatherworking, the more I really want to learn. I've made some kit items so far, nothing major - but it's given me a chance to play with tooling, at very least. I think I'm slowly starting to get the hang of casing things, and walking my tools. It's a far cry from the painting or illustration I've done before.

The leather bug is quite the addiction! There's so much that I want to do, I just don't know where all to start. The kits are fine for learning how to tool, but I really want to branch out into making my own items.

So - I guess at this point, I'm wondering where I go from here? I want to start with some small items - wallets, bracelets, etc. Do I require a sewing machine, or can I still achieve a good look with hand-stitching? I'm not overly fond of the laced borders. I realize that Tandy tools are not the Copics of the leathercrafting world, so what tools should I keep an eye out for when I'm expanding? What tools do you use that you can't live without?

I'm really excited to get into this art. I've been enjoying what I've experienced of it so far, and would like to rather seriously pursue this hobby.

Thanks for any help you've got in advance, and I look forward to sharing with everyone here!

~Rebecca

Rebecca,

First off, hello, and thank you for your service to the country. My son was a Navy MR for 5 years.

You said a lot, I will answer one big question. No, you do not need a sewing machine. You can get by just fine hand sewing. Learn to do it right and it will look better than machine sewing, but it is a little slower.

Aaron

Just my opinion and I will probably get some flack, but here goes. Hand Stitching is all you ever need, Machines are good when you need to produce a lot of goods and time is important. The machines on the market today are great but they are also a $2K+ investment. Anything they can do, you can do with hand stitching. That being said, I do have a machine and use it but If my hands were younger and less arthritic I probably wouldn't use it as much. Electrathon gave you some great advice and I echo thanking you for your service. I retired from the US Army in 1990, then spent the rest of my career with a Government Contractor basically doing the same thing I did when I retired.

Chief

(Chief Warrant Officer Three (Retired), United States Army)

For some of the best tutorials for hand stitching, look up Nigel Armitage on You Tube. He does a great job of showing how to do things right and then explains why they are done that way. I am waiting for my sewing machine to be delivered, but in doing my holsters, I am sewing 2-3 layers of 7-10 oz. veg-tan and trying to keep up with incoming orders. I do agree that nothing looks quite as nice as a well done hand stitch. Like the others, thanks for your service to our country!

The above all good advice!

Man-O-Man I long for the day I can afford a cobra class 4 machine, the only way to meet any kind of cost effective production time. however I have yet to see a sewing machine that can make a double loop lace or a mexican basket weave. you mentioned you was not overly fond of border lacing but you will have customers who will want their projects laced so you might want to take the time to learn the double loop and mexican basket weave

with that said you can produce a nice saddle stitch in the same time frame as lacing up a project.

Stick with simple projects like the ones you mentioned unlined belts, guitar straps, holsters, sheathes, phone cases, bill folds, bible covers focus on leather goods that do not require massive amounts of sewing until you can work up the funds to invest in a good machine

a double shoulder of8-9 OX Veg tan leather will render several belts, guitar straps, holsters and knife sheathes.

items like billfolds will require a light weight veg tan.

Springfield Leather is a good supplier for leather and tools.

get a wholesale membership for a bigger savings

I would also mention I have seen some very good quality leather working tools coming out of Japan for several years now

Keyoshin Elle i think is the name brand.

I have also seen that Tandy is making an effort to making their Crafttool line better quality and

CSosborne is always going to be a quality tool.

Edited by St8LineGunsmith

Rebecca, Hi, and Welcome to LWN from another Georgian as per above st8linegunsmith. Hi to you too Mike,

Firstly, I also wanted to thank you for your service to America. I personally appreciate you !

These fine examples of Leatherworkers as per above, give excellent advise, use their lead to the max, You won't go wrong.

Once taught correctly, it will serve you a lifetime. You definitely have come to the right place. Again, Welcome and Thank You !

Seaphoenix -

From one beginner to another, I want to second (or third or fourth) the recommendation for learning to hand stitch leather. Nigel Armitage's videos are invaluable, the guy is a terrific teacher! I believe that proficiency in the basic saddle stitch is one of the core skills any leatherworker should have and I can tell you from personal experience, every minute you spend practicing, and every dollar you spend on quality stitching tools will pay off handsomely.

There's a moderate learning curve here, by no means insurmountable - properly using the awl, what size stitch or thread, types of thread, etc. - along with a healthy dose of practice before you really start to see some results. I think you'll find that the first time you do a perfect line of fine saddle stitching on a wallet, case, or whatever, you'll be thrilled with what you've accomplished and feel ready to take on the world.