KarenVT

Leather For Chaps

Hi,

I am struggling somewhat on the type of leather to use for making chaps and chinks. I’m interested in 4 to 5 ounce leather that is not too expensive. I have looked at several websites like Hide House and Tandy, but my confusion still exists. I would appreciate any suggestions as to the type of leather that fits the bill.

Thanks

It is not what you want to use as much as what your customer wants to have their chaps made from.

I've made them from suede, . . . from 3 oz upholstery leather, . . . chrome tanned, . . .

Let your customer define what they want.

I took a chance last year for a very special pair, . . . for a very special young lady, . . . really soft milk chocolate upholstery leather, . . . they are still the talk of her group, . . . and if I tell you she looks good in em, . . . not even half the point.

OTOH, . . . mine, my two riding partners, . . . all out of suede.

Try suede for your first pair, . . . for you.

AND, . . . a trick I use for new customers, . . . I make a trial pair out of the heavy vinyl that is sold at JoAnns fabrics. I get their 40 or 50 off coupon and go in buy a yard to 2 yards, . . . that material fairly well imitates 1 or 2 oz leather, . . . and it gives you a really durable pattern. They can even go riding in the pattern if they want, . . . and when you're done with their pair, . . . you have a pair of "trial chaps" that the next person can try, . . .

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Thanks Dwight,

Good idea about the trial chaps.

What is your thinking when it comes to pricing the chaps you sell? Since it takes a lot of leather to make a pair of chaps and the leather costs around $200 to $250 dollars, what is a realistic price for a basic pair of chaps?

Karen

Well, . . . I don't pay that much for the leather.

Now, . . . I'm just a cheap rascal, . . . truth be known, . . . and I buy "bargains" when I can, . . . if I'm pretty sure that it will get used "some day".

Leather is definitely one of those commodities.

I'm also retired, . . . so my costs are going to be different from yours.

You might look here for some idea: http://www.klendasaddlery.com/chaps.htm

May God bless,

Dwight

Chaps and chinks were created at the earliest by cowbay and rodeos in the west to protec ttheir legs from thorns and cactuses in the grasslands while on their horses. However chaps later were adapted as biking gear. In both these scenarios protection plays a vivid role which is why chaps and chinks should ideally be made of strong cowhide. However, lambskin is a more supple lightweight option providing a decent amount of protection as well. Apart from protection chaps also help keep warm.

http://www.leatherright.com/