Regis

Suede or Split

What is the difference between suede and a split? Or, are they the same? If different, would you clarify what they are?

Thanks,

Regis

They are both technically a split - there is no top grain. Suede is a more 'softened' version and used more as a garment grade.

Seating and moc splits as an example have a much firmer feel.

Splits are just that - the remains that was left after the leather was thinned to a specified weight.

Suede is the name given to the splits after it has been brushed out, softened, and even dyed.

All this was the end result of someone figuring out that the remnant splits could be processed and sold as a leather product rather that tossing it into the trash can.

Jim is right... you've probably heard the term "sueded split" or "finished split"? When a company like Hermann oak splits (or levels) a side down to the desired thickness for the customer, they've got a split that falls off, and has to be dealt with. They prefer to sell it to someone that can use it the way it is, or to a finisher that can turn it into suede. You can actually make all sorts of leather from a split, and there are many leathers out there that actually are finished splits. Sometimes it's almost impossible to tell the difference. Finished splits are used quite commonly in the upholstery/furniture world. When you see that couch on sale at good ol' Handsome Hanks Furniture Liquidation..... Many garments are made with finished splits too. Many of the leathers that have a "print" on them are done on splits. Just no end to what you can do with those happy little things! :)

Kevin

I just bought a 13oz veggie tan belt strap. very nice grain side. the flesh side is very smooth feels & looks like suede. I've never seen this before on the couple of shoulders and side I have bought before. can anyone explain.

I just bought a 13oz veggie tan belt strap. very nice grain side. the flesh side is very smooth feels & looks like suede. I've never seen this before on the couple of shoulders and side I have bought before. can anyone explain.

The flesh should always look like suede. Leather that was not cleanly split will have a poor looking backside, if it is a quality job the back should be very smooth.