AMartz

Need Help Making Leather Eye Patch

Hi there!

I need some advice on making this eye patch. It's for a costume I'd like to wear from the show Dr. Who. Any advice? How do I mold the leather?

Thanks a ton!!!

My email is AmyMartz@me.com

post-43897-0-39377300-1375550381_thumb.p

I'm not a mask maker, but here's how I would go about doing it:

I'd find a cheap mannequin head or plastic mask that is life-sized to use as a mold. I'm not sure if this is necessary for this project, but they are often used to mold leather masks, so it seems like a great place to start.

I'd use 4-5oz veg tan leather for the patch itself, though 2-3oz could also work. Cut to size, wetten it, and form it over the eye of the mold, using whatever tools you have on hand to press the leather down into the shape of the eye. After it has dried a bit, remove from the mold and use your fingers on the pack of the patch to pinch around the edge of the eye to enhance the shape.

Dye and finish.

I am not a mask maker, but have watched others do the wet forming.....

by wetting, we mean to submerge a bucket of water for a while, say 20-30 minutes.

I am not a mask maker, but have watched others do the wet forming.....

by wetting, we mean to submerge a bucket of water for a while, say 20-30 minutes.

Just moisten it. Doesn't need to be soaked. Takes a long time to dry if you soak it. With just moist, you can start shaping it right away and it will start to hold its shape. Really worthwhile to do a little experimentation with the same type and weight of leather you are going to use.

Tom

Get it wet. Push it onto your face. Once it has the shape put it into the oven on the lowest setting with the door open part way. Every few minutes pull it out and push it back onto your face. If you can not pick it up and hold it then it is way to hot. Do not get it hot!. About 20 minutes and you are done. Do not get it hot. Do not get it hot.