biker55

Can Leather Be Remolded?

Hello all, newbie here. molded a case out of leather and now noticed that it's a little uneven. can I unmold it and reshape it? or am I better off starting with a new piece? the piece is already dry. thanks

Can't get back to flat, but you can stretch and adjust the shape if you dampen the leather. (if you heat dried, baked the leather, no can do)

Make a plug the shape you want the inside of the case to be like, dampen the leather and force the plug in. Might want to wrap the plug with plastic wrap.

Tom

thanks, but the case isn't finish yet. I just molded the front piece. but when I looked at it, it wasn't symetrical. this will be my first leather project. so I will have alot of learning to do.

I'd still try re-shaping it some. Just can't remove the stretch very well.

Making a male and female mold may help if you have the time and some basic wood working equipment.

Cut your leather pieces oversize before molding. Then you can trim off the excess and square things up some.

Tom