When you guys have a project, do you dye the entire hide and then cut your pattern out or do you dye the individual pieces after cutting?

I'm asking because I've been using fairly thin leather (2.5 - 3oz) and after dying sometimes the cut pattern pieces have stretched/shrunk and they don't line up exactly according to my patterns. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

I cut, case, tool, oil, dye, finish. I use rather thick leather 10oz plus usually.

Dying a whole hide might be cost prohibitive. What happens if you dye it black and someone wants Pink.??

To avoid stretching some people tape the backs of their project pieces with packing tape. (I think contact self adhesive shelf paper, would work for large pieces) Or glue it to a hunk of light cardboard like cereal box.

I cut, case, tool, oil, dye, finish. I use rather thick leather 10oz plus usually.

Dying a whole hide might be cost prohibitive. What happens if you dye it black and someone wants Pink.??

To avoid stretching some people tape the backs of their project pieces with packing tape. (I think contact self adhesive shelf paper, would work for large pieces) Or glue it to a hunk of light cardboard like cereal box.

If I WERE to dye the whole hide, I would do it first (can't tool it after!), let it dry, and cut out your pieces oversized then trim after assembly.

That's a good question. If you were dip dying I would think you would want the dye to be "struck through" meaning dyed all the way to the center of the leather. In thacase the tape would be a hindrance. So I would say... dye the whole hide (bare) then allow to dry. But considering what Pete had to say about not being able to tool leather after it's been dyed..... It may be that you'll have to experience a few trial and error episodes to see that works.

Personally, I wouldn't even bother with whole hide dying... just invest in an airbrush and compressor and dye them individually... or in groups of like colors. Or I suppose you could make a request from your leather dealer for struck through leather in the colors you want. Again, it's unlikely that you'll be able to tool those.

Taping the backs: Those of us who cut first, then tool... then dye... use the tape to keep thinner leathers from stretching while tooling cased leather. BTW... if you are going to tape... why not use that contact paper for shelves. you could "tape the hole hide with a few passes of contact paper. I think it would make smaller pieces a breeze too.