JRodz

Leather Weight/thickness Chart

If you are like me you have pieces of leather in various weight in your stacks or rolled up on the rack. Lately, I have found myself wondering what some of these are in terms of weight. Now, I am not a stickler for knowing exactly what weight a piece of leather is and I usually just take a piece I like that will work for the project I am working on and go with it. But for those times I just have to know, I have created this little chart for myself and my caliper is usually within arms distance so now I can determine what I'm working with pretty easily. If this helps, feel free to use it, if this is useless trivia don't use it.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all. May the passing year take with it any challenges it brought and the New Year bring with it health and fortune for all.

Leather Thickness.pdf

Thanks JRodz! This is helpful. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too!

Bob

This may sound "odd", but the meausrement of the substance of leather is not an exact science, just like many other properties of leather.

Traditionally, there have been 2 different types of leather gauges used for measuring the thickness of leather:

1) Two flate plates which are brought to contact with the leather. The distance between the flat plat is displayed on a scale or dial. This was the common type of gauge employed.

2 ) Instead of the flat plates, used in the gauge above, two small iron balls are used. This type of gauge was used primarily in the sole leather industry.

Believe it or not, the two gauges give different results as one is measuing the distance between the surface area of two plates and the other is measuring the distance at a single point. The second gauge typically gives a reading of approximately 2 oz heavier than the gauge used in the first example.

Just a bit of "trivia" that I thought someone may find interesting.

Regards,

Steven Siegel

Thanks Steven,that is good info to know, I have both types of gauges that were left to me with my father's leatherworking tools and equipment. I use the one with the arms because the other one was always off by 1 to 2 oz. Now I know why, he was a saddle, tack, and boot maker in Texas before coming out to California.

On a seperate note, keep up the Friday specials, and I hope the new place is working out.

Take care

Thanks Steven,that is good info to know, I have both types of gauges that were left to me with my father's leatherworking tools and equipment. I use the one with the arms because the other one was always off by 1 to 2 oz. Now I know why, he was a saddle, tack, and boot maker in Texas before coming out to California.

On a seperate note, keep up the Friday specials, and I hope the new place is working out.

Take care

Thanks for the comments.

Edited by StevenSiegel